The Jack's Small Engines Forum - Join Our Online Community
Reply to post

Hot!kickback when starting my mower..........

Author
tjiowa
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/05 00:44:03 (permalink)

kickback when starting my mower..........

I've got a 33" Troy Bilt walk behind mower with a 9 HP motor. It's been hit or miss causing kickback when pulling the rope to start it. Last December I attempted to start it to run the gas out of the tank for winter storage and it kicked back so hard on me I fractured my wrist requiring a cast for a month.
I thought the problem was being caused by putting it on full choke when starting it so I stopped choking it on startup and have not had it kickback hardly at all. Matter of fact after about 4 smooth pulls on the rope it fired right up.  However, last week the darn thing nearly broke my wrist again with no choke on at all. 

I do shut the gas off after each use using a fuel shut off valve which is located under the tank.

Can someone tell me why it kicksback and what I can do to stop it from doing so?

3 Replies Related Threads

bcollins128
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: kickback when starting my mower.......... 2016/08/06 15:41:58 (permalink)
    I had the same thing happen to me and I had to replace the flywheel key.  Look on you tube and search for how to replace fly wheel key or starting issues due to kick back.  You may find the same lawn mower as yours.  It isn't too hard as I was able to do and I'm no expert in fixing lawn mowers.  sorry to hear about the broken wrist.  You will need a heavy duty wrench with a long bar.  good luck

Ben
    SaintTammany
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: kickback when starting my mower.......... 2016/08/09 15:49:20 (permalink)
    Your valves likely need adjusting.  The compression release is on the camshaft next to the exhaust valve.  At very low speed as in cranking it prevents complete closing of the exhaust valve thereby releasing the compression.  As soon as it starts the centrifugal force disengages it.   There are many videos on YouTube for adjusting the valves on your engine.  YouTube search Taryl fixes all. Adjust them to .004 in. Do this for both valves.  BTW, this is usually the cause of a sheared key.
    kawimaniac2145
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: kickback when starting my mower.......... 2017/03/29 00:04:33 (permalink)
    I would recommend going to youtube typing in donyboy73 flywheel key replacement. that is 9 times out of 10 what it is going to be.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC