dirtfarmer1953
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/18 12:18:57 (permalink)

Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup

I just purchase a new Honda GX390UT2   engine   type QAE2

, but I have a problem with it start good but at startup it stop   many time,   start up and stop; does not matter it I have choke on or off or throttle full or half
an yes I know it start better it throttle is in the middle

11 Replies Related Threads

Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 753
    • Scores: 39
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/19 12:30:38 (permalink)
    You said new so still under warranty?
    dirtfarmer1953
    Starting Member
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/19 12:57:58 (permalink)
    yes still new but i was inform  by a honda service  shop that honda does not  cover anything under  warranty for  carb, and that if i bought it in to his  shop i would have to pay to look at it and  fix it

so must  for Honda suppose to be a good engine  co
    Mikel1
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/19 22:24:04 (permalink)
    I would of thought it would be covered under the emissions control warranty(mandated by EPA) which does cover carb. I guess they would try to blame you for it.
    http://m.powerequipment.honda.com/support/warranty

Does it run okay once warmed up?
    dirtfarmer1953
    Starting Member
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/20 07:16:42 (permalink)
    that  what i was told  by service  tech-- he has a hard time get honda to approve any  warranty  have to show show something was  wrong-- that the  trouble with warranty-- really not  worth the paper it printed on- just  ask all the people  with  car  trying to get the  motor  co to fix  it

ok  back to  engine  , yes  after a 3 to4  try at  starting it  does  run,, hot seem to start good,  but  cold that a  differnt  story, get it  started it run then die--
    Mikel1
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/20 12:36:30 (permalink)
    Sounds like an auto insurance company I am dealing with right now.

Does the choke appear to be properly working? When it does warm up does it run with no problems?
    dirtfarmer1953
    Starting Member
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/22 10:10:12 (permalink)
    choke appear to work as it  start but when i move choke, when i got it  started- it run for a while then die

warm up might be my  problem as i move the  choke when i start it- maybe if i leave choke on for a while  ?????????

when  warm yes it run with no problem so  far
    the book does not  say by i wonder if a  person  should left  choke for a while when it runing  cold then slow move it open
    as i way i was do it when started, move choke to full open and it  die soon after
    Mikel1
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/22 14:08:03 (permalink)
    You shouldn't have to leave choke on long, engine should warm up fast.
    Do you have any adjustments on the carb?
    Have you had this problem since you bought it?
    dirtfarmer1953
    Starting Member
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/22 14:48:58 (permalink)
    one problem I never had a HONDA  before

tried  started this morning, got  started and pull choke off- well it die after a min

tries  started and full  choke it started and run poor  but keep runing. slow I move choke   mid  open it keep  running and a bit  faster after a while full open, it  run

try a  few time after it cool   off, had to use choke  again

there is one  adjustment on  carb for idle speed

and yes I had the problem since I bought  it, but then  never left choke on for  warm up either  all was turn  it off when it  started, never got to warm up, im beginning to think,  i have to leave choke on for a while

post edited by dirtfarmer1953 - 2016/08/22 18:21:55
    Mikel1
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2016/08/25 10:30:17 (permalink)
    Might take some getting use to.
    Might try bumping idle speed up a tiny bit, this may help keep it from dying.
    Problem is nowadays to keep the emissions down they are leaning them out.
    Bought a stihl chainsaw a few months ago, started right up and idle perfect at dealer. I get it home started it up cut a small tree and set it down. It cut off started it back up cut off about a minute later. Only one adjustment idle speed, bumped idle up and works great now.
    tudoulaile03
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2017/06/29 21:33:20 (permalink)
    Step 1:
    If your generator is having problems when starting, you can test it to confirm whether the issue is fuel related. Then remove the air filter after taking away the air-box cover.
    Step 2:
    Next, you need to spray a little amount of starter fluid into your generator’s carburetor. Then try to start it again. If it only starts for a couple of seconds and then goes off, you are likely facing a fuel related issue.
    Alternatively, remove the carburetor’s drain bolt and pour some of the fuel. Depending on the smell of the fuel, you will definitely know whether it is a fuel problem. 
    Step 3: 
    Now turn off the fuel valve in case you have finally identified the problem to be fuel related. 
    Step 4:
    Next, remove the nuts and bolts holding the airbox in place. And get the air box out.
    Step 5:
    Then remove the fuel line. If you get into problems when trying to remove it from the carburetor using fuel valve, then use a hose clamp and it will do the trick. 
    Step 6:
    Next, remove the spring and governor rod. Take a snapshot or picture of where the spring goes if there are multiple holes just to make sure it will be put back in the right place. 
    Step 7:
    It’s time to remove the carburetor. Ensure you do remove it carefully to avoid ripping out the gaskets. Just to be saved, it is advisable to have a carb rebuild kit nearby because mistakes can happen. 
    Step 8:
    If nothing goes wrong when removing the carb and the gaskets remain intact, use a razor to carefully remove them. If they are well kept, they can be re-used. 
    Step 9:
    Next, flip the carburetor over to pull out the float bowl bolt. In case it doesn’t come off that way, tap it with your screwdriver handle. That should make it come off easily. 
    Step 10:
    Now remove both the float and the needle but first, you have to remove the float pin. You should be extra careful with these parts as they can be easily lost. 
    Step 11:
    Inspect the needle tip for cases of corrosion and wear if the fuel has been leaking out. Most of the leaking problems are usually associated with needle tips. In some cases, you can just clean it and put the rubber tip back on. But if that can’t work, you have to replace it. 
    Step 12:
    Then inspect the seat of the needle for any excessive wear or crud. Sometimes when the carburetor is gummed up pretty bad, you may not manage to get the needle out of the needle seat without warming that section up. 
    Step 13:
    Now you can use the screwdriver to remove the main jet. Be careful as jets can strip easily. After that, pull out the emulsion tube beneath it. Most likely, the emulsion tube will fall out easily after the main jet is out of place. 

Step 14:
    Once the emulsion tube and the main jet have been pulled out, hold them up and shine the light through them. You should be able to see the light through both the emulsion tube hole and the main jet hole.
    Step 15:
    If the light is not going through, you may be having clogged holes. And to unclog the holes, you can use a strand of wire to pass through the holes. Avoid using something larger than the jet holes as they are made of brass; meaning that they can easily become bigger which in turn would cause unforeseen problems. 
    Also, make sure that there is a good spray stream coming out of the main jet and emulsion tube when you spray the carb with carburetor cleaner. That is to just make sure that all the holes are completely unclogged. 
    Step 16:
    Under the idle screw, you will find the pilot jet there. To get to the pilot jet, you have to pull out the idle screw. Remember to count the number of times you turn the screw when removing it. Why? Because you need to use the same sum of turns when reinstalling. 

Step 17:
    Then pop up the jet to easily remove it. Use the same procedure you used to clean the main jet and emulsion tube to clean the pilot jet. 
    Step 18:
    Next, use the carburetor cleaner to spray out all the passage ways. You may follow the passages to see exactly where the spray exits. If everything is in a good working order, the carb cleaner should exit on each of the passageways without problems. 
    Always make sure you spray the pilot circuit until it comes out all the transfer ports. This will ensure that the fuel screw is cleaned properly using the carb cleaner. In cases where you can’t remove the fuel screw without drilling, just make sure it is lightly seated by screwing it a number of times. 
    But if you removed the fuel screw for cleaning, make sure to count the number of turns when reinstalling. The numbers of turn should be equal to the ones used when removing. In many cases, there is no need to remove the fuel screw.
    Step 19:
    In cases where the carburetor is badly clogged, you can use an air compressor to clear the passages by blowing through them. By doing that, you will have ensured that all passages are spotless as well as in a good condition.
    Step 20:
    Once everything is cleaned, you now begin reassembling in the reverse order of removal. And if you took pictures at each stage of removal, use them during reassembling in a reverse order to make sure that you don’t miss anything.

maybe is helpful
    post edited by tudoulaile03 - 2017/06/29 21:37:25
    Roy
    • Total Posts : 195
    • Scores: 2
    Re: Honda GX390UT2 hard to keep run at startup 2017/07/01 12:42:54 (permalink)
    I have seen problems with carburetors on new imported engines, too much corrosion inhibitor. If the dealer had fired the engine before you picked it up he would have spotted the problem and corrected it. Sounds like he is being lazy.
    Normally the factory will warranty a carb problem on a brand new engine once the dealer determines the fuel is clean and fresh. If a problem shows up after a couple of tanks then they tend to get uncooperative and blame it on the fuel.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC