The Jack's Small Engines Forum - Join Our Online Community
Reply to post

Hot!Best method for torquing PTO bolt to engine shaft.

Author
Mowerguy1
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/24 15:19:19 (permalink)

Best method for torquing PTO bolt to engine shaft.

Greetings,

I have been reading this site for ages, but have yet to join until today.  I ran across some information regarding the danger of using an impact wrench to apply the bolt to the engine drive shaft on a vertical shaft lawnmower engine.

I recently had a 20 some year old clutch fail on me, and this was after an engine replacement on my part.  The clutch was replaced with a new one by a dealer, but then the belt had some issues and had to be removed.  After changing the belt I simply used my air impact driver to secure the clutch again and kept on trucking.  I have used this clutch worry free for the last year until I tried to basically bush hog with the thing in 6' tall growth.  It did beautiful until i tried to back-up over some things, and a stick or plant wrapped up in the belt which jerked the wiring out of my year old clutch.

So today I am installing a new one, and planning on fixing the old one myself.  I want to torque the bolt correctly using my 1/2" torque wrench, but I am not sure what the best way is to secure the shaft so it won't just turn the engine.  I am sure this question has been asked 100 times, but for whatever reason I've yet to turn up many options shy of taking the cover off the flywheel and using pliers or otherwise there.  Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

I am assuming 45# is sufficient, but I see several conflicting opinions there as well.

Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 506
    • Scores: 31
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Best method for torquing PTO bolt to engine shaft. 2016/08/25 10:20:19 (permalink)
    You could do the rope in the cylinder trick. Personally I would just use the impact.
    45 should be sufficient.
    Mowerguy1
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Best method for torquing PTO bolt to engine shaft. 2016/08/26 00:03:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the post, I honestly didn't think about that.. But in the end, alas, I went with the impact wrench.  My only concern is that I either didn't tighten enough or I over tightened.  However, I don't really see a major issue.  I'd rather it run hotter than the bolt falling out obviously.  My experience, if you don't tighten them enough and the bolt works its way free, it's going to break off in the shaft before it just falls free.  So over tightening is always better, lol..
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC