Hot!Kohler command 14 with no spark. Help please

Author
schmark1
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2020/06/14 19:07:29 (permalink)

Kohler command 14 with no spark. Help please

I have a Scag sw-48. It is a pull start, (turn the key on and pull the recoil rope). It sat for a couple years. last fall I went through it and got it back to operating condition. I Mowed my lawn with it. It ran perfectly when I put it away for the season. A few weeks ago I got out of the garage and was going to mow my grass. I tried starting it. It started for about half a second then quit. tried starting it several more times an it would act like it wanted to start but would not. then it stopped acting like it wanted to start altogether. No sign of life. I pulled the plug out and laid it on head bolt, pulled the cord and it has zero spark. I figured the coil was bad so I purchased a new one. I put the new coil in and laid the plug on head bolt again. this time I could see spark but it didn't seem very strong. I put the plug in and tried to start it. It started to sputter after a few pulls but never fully started. I pulled the spark plug out and laid on head bolt, once again, no spark and no sign of life. This mower is in real nice shape except for this issue and I would like to get it going again. any help or suggestions would be great. I do have a multitester but not very good at knowing what to do with it.
scag model# SW48-14kh
serial#  19160161
Kohler engine - Command 14 Pro Series
Family - SKH3980 1G2RB
Model - CV14T
Spec#  1461
Serial# 2529708164 or 9 as the last number.(hard to make it out)
I have tried replacing the key switch with an identical one I got off a snowblower but had the same result of no sign of life.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 1346
    • Scores: 19
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Kohler command 14 with no spark. Help please 2020/06/15 00:32:14 (permalink)
    Disconnect the primary wire from the coil and check for spark, if it is good you have eliminated the coil as the problem. You have a dirty connection or faulty safety switch.
    schmark1
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Kohler command 14 with no spark. Help please 2020/06/15 19:09:10 (permalink)
    ok thank you I will check that out tomorrow after work. I really appreciate the help. I wouldn't have had any idea to do that.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC