Hot!Predator engine problem

Author
grodeestok
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2020/08/03 09:48:32 (permalink)

Predator engine problem

I bought a County Line log splitter from Tractor Supply that had been returned because the engine was seized. I replaced it with a Harbor Freight Predator 212cc 6.5 hp that luckily bolted on with no mods. The engine and splitter have been working great until recently. I was splitting and the engine began to sound like it was about to run out of gas again so I stopped it and topped it off and it has refused to start ever since. Checked for spark-fine. I was using it next door at my neighbors house so I dragged it back home by hand so I had to tip it way back to make it easier to roll. When I got it home I decided to give it a crank and the thing started but wouldn't continue running. Pulled the carb and cleaned it , no help. I tilted it up again and it started again but wouldn't keep running. Disconnected the oil sensor but no difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

4 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 1907
    • Scores: 81
    Re: Predator engine problem 2020/08/03 12:15:10 (permalink)
    Just go and buy another HF engine. It might the fuel filter in the tank but item in not available.
    crabcrawler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Predator engine problem 2020/08/09 13:56:13 (permalink)
    Some simple suggestions, if you still need them. From your description, it sounds fuel starved. Did you replace the filter? Also, could try to drain the fuel into clear container and inspect the fuel. If it sat for awhile, then your carb cleaning may need repeating, paying close attention to reaming the jets with fine wire. One overlooked possibility is water from condensation or other source displacing fuel in the carb. One drop sitting over a screen to a jet is enough to exhibit these symptoms. On my carb rebuilds I like using an ultrasonic cleaner with my own solution mixed into help breakdown the varnish. Carbs are so cheap many shops just put new ones in instead of rebuilding them.
    grodeestok
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Predator engine problem 2020/08/10 09:31:21 (permalink)
    crabcrawler
    Some simple suggestions, if you still need them. From your description, it sounds fuel starved. Did you replace the filter? Also, could try to drain the fuel into clear container and inspect the fuel. If it sat for awhile, then your carb cleaning may need repeating, paying close attention to reaming the jets with fine wire. One overlooked possibility is water from condensation or other source displacing fuel in the carb. One drop sitting over a screen to a jet is enough to exhibit these symptoms. On my carb rebuilds I like using an ultrasonic cleaner with my own solution mixed into help breakdown the varnish. Carbs are so cheap many shops just put new ones in instead of rebuilding them.

Thanks crabcrawler. I keep stabil in the fuel since I don't use the splitter on a regular basis and I always use the fuel cutoff and run the carb dry when I finish. I will check the filter and reclean the carb. Checked the valve lash and it's in spec. I have the hemi version.
    crabcrawler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Predator engine problem 2020/08/10 20:26:07 (permalink)
    Oh, one other suggestion related to what might cause filter and carb issues... very small particles from breakdown of fuel line due to use of ethanol fuels. Must use nonethanol only for most small engines. Yiu sound pretty knowlegeable so im sure youll have success in getting a fix!
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC