Hot!fuel issues

Author
bob
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/01 20:58:11 (permalink)

fuel issues

my gator engine which is a 1999 kawasaki fd620d seems to be starving for fuel. if I keep the choke pulled I can get it to run for a bit but it was running just fine until suddenly it acts as if its outta gas. it has done this twice so far. first time I blew the fuel line out from the fuel pump back into the tank to clear it of any clogs. made sure filter is clear. started right up and ran fine. now its done it again.  fuel pump is pumping but not sure how strong it should be. I can hold fuel pressure back with my thumb when I test it. when I let it pump into a bottle it pumps out fine. from tank side of pump I can feel slight vacuum, again not sure how much it should have. I have also checked for juice going to the solenoid on the carb. it has current. not sure what the solenoid does exactly or if it requires fuel pressure from the pump to function. solenoid is 70 bucks. fuel pump is around 140. not sure what to try first in diagnosing by process of elimination. pretty expensive. anyone know where to get same parts cheaper? would an electric automotive fuel pump work or would that be too much pressure? carb kit maybe? getting a bit discouraged at this point. any suggestions?
thanks in advance, Bob

5 Replies Related Threads

Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 506
    • Scores: 31
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: fuel issues 2016/12/02 09:38:08 (permalink)
    Is trash/debris in fuel tank, also check fuel lines? How long does it take to happen once you start running?
    bob
    Re: fuel issues 2016/12/04 08:21:02 (permalink)
    well, I pulled out the pick up tube that goes down into the gas tank. no sock/screen, just a plastic tube with an angled end. fuel lines are clear as well as the filter. decided that the fuel pump may be failing so I ordered one from pat's small engine at the tune of $106.00, ow! will wait and try that when it gets here. any idea what the tiny little solenoid on the carb does? I don't think it has anything to do with the problem as the fuel line between the pump and the carb didn't leak much fuel when I pulled it off the carb side of the pump. apparently the pump will move fuel when it is un restricted which leads me to believe it should have more pressure for delivery to the carb.
    thank you mikel1 for your response. bob 
    bob
    Re: fuel issues 2016/12/04 08:23:07 (permalink)
    oh! also the fuel tank doesn't seem to have any debris in it with the exception of the gauge's float has fallen off and rests on the bottom
    Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 506
    • Scores: 31
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: fuel issues 2016/12/04 13:17:18 (permalink)
    The fuel solenoid has a plunger that retracts when voltage is applied. So when you turn the key to the on position voltage is sent to retract plunger. This allows you to start it up. If solenoid doesn't work then you can't start it up. However the solenoid can be problematic.

PS- I would take gauge float out if you can.
    eddyjoe56
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: fuel issues 2017/05/19 08:49:02 (permalink)
    I would clean float bowl of carburetor if you have not done so. I have found too many times that ethanol fuel leaves gel deposits in bowl that float around at random plugging off main jet. If you fine a lot of deposits I would remove carb and attempt to clean.  The total cleaning of all passages in carb is a difficult process and not always successful. It may require a new carb to repair problem.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC