Hot!need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly

Author
kcmower
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2017/04/25 09:07:17 (permalink)

need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly

Whatever reason years ago after I had the engine issues, which I just fixed, when tried moving the mower I couldnt get the reae end to freewheel and I took the linkage and brake apart.  Even pulling the release lever didnt work.  It seems to have freed up for whatever reason.  Needless to say cant recall how it all goes back lol.  I cant seem to get the diagram onthis site to scroll down to what I need to see, other ones ive found show everthing but a blowup of the actual linkage and brake.
So, first question is the brake disc.  One side is flat, the other has a nipple.  Does the flat side go to the rear end housing or face out?  Im thinking towards the housing as to space it out but it keeps getting stuck on test fitting, even with lube, and I dont want to jam it on there.  Once I figure that out will take it from there. Thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/25 20:08:19 (permalink)
    I have found multiple diagrams, including ones from the manual online, none show that area in detail.  Apparently we dont need no stinking brakes.  Lol
    Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 669
    • Scores: 31
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/25 20:53:23 (permalink)
    Might want to take a pic and post it.
    What is it getting stuck on? The ones I have done the beveled side is face out and flat side is toward tranny housing. Usually slide right on with some lube.
    kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/25 21:51:25 (permalink)
    I think your right on the bevel.  Its just corrision from wonderful ks humidity probably just needs brushed clean.  I might be posting pics before this over lol.
    Also notice the steering is messed up as the steering column seems to be supported by the same brace the shrouds are bolted to.  Geez!  Think ill save that for last.  No, putting on new drive belt will be last.

Other than that, the engine hood is marked turbo cooling.  Is that just marketing crap or make a diffrence?  My jd hood had the same fin design I trashsed it years ago and made a brush guard for it hasnt affected anything.
    Thanks.
    Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 669
    • Scores: 31
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/25 22:23:51 (permalink)
    Yeah the splined shaft gets corroded that the disc slides on. The two pins that push on the friction puck (brake pad) can sometimes also get rust on them.
    Extra air isn't bad for an air cooled engine. However I wouldn't spend my money it. Making sure cooling fins are clean and doing proper maintenance is essential.
    kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/26 11:16:58 (permalink)
    When I said fins I was talking about the plastic engine body hood, not the flywheel.  My helper ran into too many trees with my jd from being in a hurry so I trashed the hood and just made a bolt on engine guard.  I assume the engine out in the open is every bit as good as being covered with a hood.  I dnt mow in the rain or dark.  Not anymore lol.
    kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/26 19:24:22 (permalink)
    Pretty much got it back together, except the hydro release lever.  Theres a small shaft below the brake disc that has nothing attached anyone know if this is the release?  I cant find a diagram with that detail.  All i have is the lever that extends thru thru the rear panel of the mower and a spring.  I must be missing a bracket?  Sure make things easier if a diagram would show it.
    kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/26 20:19:59 (permalink)
    That must be the release it goes back in place after turning it and letting go.  I can live without that for now.  My bigger concern is it seems to be in freewheel no matter what position.  Guess i just need to get a belt on and play with it maybe pump isnt primed or something no idea.
    kcmower
    Re: need help with white lt946h rear end linkage and brake reassembly 2017/04/27 18:45:19 (permalink)
    So today i spent 2hrs working on a frozen spindle got steering working.  Then got drive belt on.  Took for tesf run,  awe the smell of burning rubber!  Rminded me of the old drag strip.  At least i know the hydro is working.  When i shut it off there was  a big spark underneath.  Might check pulleys are turninv.  Hard totell on belt diagram since it looks bakwards.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC