honda generator losing oil out the air filter

Author
plott hound
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/03 07:33:01 (permalink)

honda generator losing oil out the air filter

my old Honda EB4000 generator loses a lot of oil from the crankcase vent tube and out the air breather.i thought maybe it was a blown head gasket so I pulled the head.although the gasket material is very soft I don't think it was leaking.and of course I never did a compression test before the head removal.what else could cause this oil los issue?

thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

BtO9
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: honda generator losing oil out the air filter 2016/04/19 10:40:50 (permalink)
    Yea you have piston and rings issues Reason is the compression is going past rings and into the crankcase. Just make sure crankcase isn't over full as this will blow oil also. 
    BtO9
    Starting Member
    Re: honda generator losing oil out the air filter 2016/04/19 10:40:50 (permalink)
    Yea you have piston and rings issues Reason is the compression is going past rings and into the crankcase. Just make sure crankcase isn't over full as this will blow oil also. 
    plott hound
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: honda generator losing oil out the air filter 2016/04/19 17:08:34 (permalink)
    thanks for the reply,this is one project I wish I had never tackled.poor generator is real old and a lot of parts are no longer available.i managed to find a set of rings but I broke the plastic choke assembly off the carb.did a lap job on the valves before I pull the engine completely apart then tested again.now the carb bowl leaks even with a new gasket installed and the carb is no longer available.managed to rob some parts off another generator to make a choke assembly so I might as well pull it down and re-ring this antique.other then my time its still a cheap fix.

cheers
    BtO9
    Starting Member
    Re: honda generator losing oil out the air filter 2016/04/20 09:10:26 (permalink)
    I had to adapt a new style carb on my 1979 snowblower. Made the adapter plate out of a piece of 3/8 aluminum
    The governor rod was a pain to make. Also it seems you have the ability to tackle this re-ring job. Use the Honda Brand sealer for crank case. RTV  is no good for this It's called HondaBond II. Good luck     
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC