SFCODEL
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/26 16:36:39 (permalink)

2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler

I have a husquarvarna ,21 hp kohler courage which has several problems;
1.gas in oil
2 starts fine then blows white smoke out of muffler(i assume is oil).
3.I also noticed it leaking gas out of carb after running.

i did notice alot a gas in oil when I drained it.

I have replaced oil,filter,air filter and gas filter.

7 Replies Related Threads

Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 397
    • Scores: 27
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/04/26 17:58:56 (permalink)
    Carb is flooding and may have blown head gasket. On carb check float by submerging in water then shaking. If water is inside then you need a new float. Replace float valve and inspect float valve seat.
    SFCODEL
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/04/26 18:17:07 (permalink)
    Thanks mikel1, I will try that and post the results.its going to be a week or so.
    SFCODEL
    SFCODEL
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/04/26 18:40:16 (permalink)
    MIKEL1, I did a compression check,cylinder is at 100psi,so I don't think head gasket is bad.Maybe gas in oil making the thin oil pass the rings.
    post edited by SFCODEL - 2016/04/26 18:42:47
    Mikel1
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/04/26 18:49:23 (permalink)
    It could also be coming out of crankcase breather tube back into carb. I would work on the carb then see how it does.
    ryontim@yahoo.com
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/06/16 18:39:13 (permalink)
    Hey,  I hope you found the problem and please be sure to communicate you findings and solution. As I looked at this I right away thought of the problems pressure washing causes and if you pressure wash your unit. Second the smoke color of white is water or transfluid if there was an error in fuel mixture. Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil and white smoke is water. If you have oil in the fuel...just drain and refill. if you are having fuel leak it is most likely coming from float bowl gasket. It could be a stuck float but it would really run poorly. Fuel in the oil is an over fueling problem which could be a result of plug miss firing due to oil in the fuel. White smoke can come from washing unit and water being in both the fuel system and the muffler. I think you need or have done the basics. bring everything back to normal specs. right fuel, no bad gasket and do not pressure wash unless you understand how to do it. Just my opinion is all. I have fixed numerous with the same issue.
    Basics:
    1. drain fuel and replenish
    2. be sure oil is clean now
    3. remove float bowl from carb
    4. Check for proper movement of needle and seat as well as float condition
    5. Clean main Jet which is the nut attaching float bowl, or the fuel solenoid is so equipped
    6. clean spark plug from any oil
    7. start and let it run to clear moisture from exhaust.

ryontim@yahoo.com
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/06/16 19:04:41 (permalink)
    Hey,

I guess I need to clarify some of my comments on washing units. I see two major issues with early failures on lawn tractors and other equipment. One is the fuel we use today with ethanol and the second believe or not is pressure washing. I am a firm believer in keeping equipment clean. The use of DAWN and a hose (40 PSI)  works well. Pressure washing at anywhere from 1000 PSI to 2500 or even 3000 PSI will kill your equipment. Seals will not hold out the water under that pressure and electronics are sealed but not made to withstand that pressure and will fail. I have learned the hard way. Just my thoughts.
    Tim
    Mikel1
    Re: 2012 husquarvarna YTHY21K46 riding mower blowing white smoke out of muffler 2016/06/17 13:11:19 (permalink)
    ryontim@yahoo.com
    Hey,  I hope you found the problem and please be sure to communicate you findings and solution. As I looked at this I right away thought of the problems pressure washing causes and if you pressure wash your unit. Second the smoke color of white is water or transfluid if there was an error in fuel mixture. Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil and white smoke is water. If you have oil in the fuel...just drain and refill. if you are having fuel leak it is most likely coming from float bowl gasket. It could be a stuck float but it would really run poorly. Fuel in the oil is an over fueling problem which could be a result of plug miss firing due to oil in the fuel. White smoke can come from washing unit and water being in both the fuel system and the muffler. I think you need or have done the basics. bring everything back to normal specs. right fuel, no bad gasket and do not pressure wash unless you understand how to do it. Just my opinion is all. I have fixed numerous with the same issue.
    Basics:
    1. drain fuel and replenish
    2. be sure oil is clean now
    3. remove float bowl from carb
    4. Check for proper movement of needle and seat as well as float condition
    5. Clean main Jet which is the nut attaching float bowl, or the fuel solenoid is so equipped
    6. clean spark plug from any oil
    7. start and let it run to clear moisture from exhaust.

Welcome to the Forum!

White smoke can also be caused by oil.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC