Hot!Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems

Author
countrygirl
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/04/16 18:08:03 (permalink)

Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems

Hi! About a month ago, I took on the 1st engine rebuild/tractor overhaul project I've ever done. I have a Craftsman 917.270671 Riding Mower. When I put it in the garage, it barely had enough power to drive in. I started by doing a simple tune-up, then got further involved. Long story short, I rebuilt the Briggs and Stratton engine (311707-0132-e1) took out the Peerless Transaxle and changed the oil, put in a new drive belt, then sanded and painted a bit. Now, it fires up right away! Carburetor still needs adjusting, but it runs! WOO-HOO!
Here is the problem! I let out the clutch and it dies! When the clutch gets about 1/2 way down, it starts to sputter, push the clutch back in, and sounds great! I read in various places that it is the seat safety switch. Had a friend hold the button down, no difference! Tested the switch with a Multimeter and tested fine! I know there is another safety switch for the mower, but heard that if that switch is out, the tractor will not start! 
I'M AT MY WITS END! ANY SUGGESTIONS?? PLEASE!

5 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 597
    • Scores: 24
    Re: Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems 2018/04/16 18:51:00 (permalink)
    It is possible the shorting strip in the seat switch connector which operator from simply unplugging the the seat operator present switch to bypass it is not being fully depressed or has failed.

Now you can snip one the wires on the seat since there only two wires and will temporary disable the switch. For safety please reconnect after testing as if you don't and you accidently fall or is knocked off the mower it will not shut down and stop.  Since it is a liability issue I always restore all safety systems on mowers that come in my shop that the owner have disabled.
    countrygirl
    Re: Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems 2018/04/17 02:57:10 (permalink)
    I will try snipping a wire. Thank you! I tried to bypass the switch by inserting 2 ends of one wire into the plug. And taping it down. That did not work. I'm going to order a new switch and plug.
    As for cutting the wires, does it matter which one? Assuming the black, but not sure. Thanks so much for your help!
    AVB
    Re: Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems 2018/04/17 08:18:28 (permalink)
    By jumping you're doing the same thing as the shorting strip does. Both would tell the electrical system that there is no rider on the seat. The circuit at the seat switch on this mower needs to be an open circuit when the rider is present on the seat. As to which wire it doesn't matter as long it is one of the two at the switch. As above please reconnect after testing for safety sake.

Now this jumoing is necessary on some mowers as to way the OEM wire the electrical systems. Some have 12V running through the switch but here it is electrical ground.
    post edited by AVB - 2018/04/17 08:20:13
    countrygirl
    Re: Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems 2018/04/17 14:52:18 (permalink)
    I just want to say THANK YOU! I am new at this so I do a lot of researching. I've been researching the darn safety switch and tried everything I could. YOU were the only one that suggested actually cutting the wire! THAT WAS THE TICKET!! YOU NOT ONLY MADE MY DAY, but completed my project! 
    Now, while I wait for the new switch to arrive, I can at least purge the transaxle and clean my garage!! 
    THANKS AGAIN!! HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
    AVB
    Re: Craftsman Riding Mower 917.270671 Clutch problems 2018/04/17 15:07:16 (permalink)
    Normally I don't but these connectors with the shorting strip has been a headache for me too until I found out what was going with them. You may still have problems after getting a new switch as that shorting can be messed up. With connector off look at switch side of the connector housing and you will see the shorting strip assembly. You can simply with a pair needle nose pliers pull that piece out of the connector housing. It that or ordering a new wiring harness.  They don't sell that connector as assemble but you get the housing itself along a couple F56 terminals if you ever need to replace it but by simply clipping the wire you can now splice it back with a solderless butt connector.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC