Author
Kawmule
Kawasaki Owner
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/05/28 22:43:04 (permalink)

Confusion.....

Rebuild in the Mule engine. Waiting on a new cam. But just wondering, what is the difference (or is there one) between crankshaft runout ,and crankshaft axial play?
AVB
  • Total Posts : 441
  • Scores: 25
Re: Confusion..... 2018/05/29 07:40:48 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Kawmule 2018/05/29 09:46:19
Two different measurements.

Another term for crankshaft axial play is end play or the in and out movement of the crankshaft. Normally you just install the correct amount shim to get it within specs. Now on engines like Briggs we use different crankcase gaskets and shims; other engines just shims.

Crankshaft run out is checking to see if the journals are out of round (off center) or if the crankshaft is bent. Journals do wear one sided especially on the power stroke side. This to either having the crankshaft journal under sized if undersized parts are available or the replacement of the crankshaft. The journal for the connecting rod would the hardest to check but checking for the overall straightness of the crankshaft is fairly easy using vee blocks and a dial indicator.

Most times it simpler to replace the crankshaft if your run out is too much as fining a machine shop nowadays that have the equipment is hard to. I don't even of a machine within 100 miles of me that can even do automobile engines any more.
Kawmule
Kawasaki Owner
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
Re: Confusion..... 2018/05/29 09:49:39 (permalink)
Thanks again AVB!
I guess i have it lucky, i have a machine shop about 8 miles down the road!
The reason i asked the question is when i put the crank case cover on and torqued the bolts, the crankshaft wouldn't spin by hand, which according to the manual it is supposed to, and it gave adjusting the axial play for a remedy, and the manual says measure from Point A to point B and then from Here to There, and its really confusing, and then you have to find the 2 measurements you took on a table in the manual and that shows you what size shim you need.
Jump to:
Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC