Author
Sabertown
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/09 08:19:18 (permalink)

Oil seal good or bad?

This seal was replaced in a 22 month old briggs and stratton 6hp and I was told it was flogged out probably damaged by flax, no oil was leaking down the shaft and after it was replaced there was still an oil leak from where I told the shop it was leaking from. Does this look like a damaged leaking oil seal?

Attached Image(s)

14 Replies Related Threads

kshansen
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 11:11:04 (permalink)
    So where is the oil leaking? How about a picture showing that? If there is no oil on the crankshaft sticking out of the seal then how can they claim the seal is bad?
    Sabertown
    Starting Member
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 15:00:54 (permalink)
    It is leaking from this small hole to which the technician then said oh that's a casting problem I'll contact briggs and stratton for warranty replacement of short block. I told them it was leaking from here when I booked it in so next they will try tell me I had a leaking oil seal AND a casting problem both leaking oil. Yeah right!

Attached Image(s)

AVB
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Scores: 31
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 15:10:24 (permalink)
    Seals don't always leak around lip seal. Sometimes they leak around outer mounting area due to corrosion. I have replaced more because of this then the lip wear. Kawasaki horizontals are bad about this though I have also seen a few verticals too. Can happen to any seal.

I even one where the seal was good but the area near the seal was cracked completely through.
    kshansen
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 15:28:40 (permalink)
    AVB
    Seals don't always leak around lip seal. Sometimes they leak around outer mounting area due to corrosion. I have replaced more because of this then the lip wear. Kawasaki horizontals are bad about this though I have also seen a few verticals too. Can happen to any seal.

I even one where the seal was good but the area near the seal was cracked completely through.

Yes I can understand that, but maybe it's just the poor picture or my old eyes but I don't see any obvious oil in the picture. Also if the seal had been replace as the OP stated I would hope that any corrosion would have been cleaned up. Same with a cracked housing that should have been noticed.

That is why I had asked where the oil is leaking as the OP said he had told the shop that it was NOT coming from the seal.
    AVB
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 16:25:29 (permalink)
    That is why I use UV tracer dye for oil leaks that way you know exactly where the leak is under UV light. Recently I had a gx390 that looked from visual that oil was coming from under the flywheel which was not. Turn out to be an oil fill cap seal leaking and the flywheel fan was sucking the oil under it.
    post edited by AVB - 2018/06/10 16:28:43
    kshansen
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/10 17:15:34 (permalink)
    AVB
    That is why I use UV tracer dye for oil leaks that way you know exactly where the leak is under UV light. Recently I had a gx390 that looked from visual that oil was coming from under the flywheel which was not. Turn out to be an oil fill cap seal leaking and the flywheel fan was sucking the oil under it.

Two important things I learned in working on heavy equipment for over 40 years, oil runs down hill and oil goes down wind! And if you think you found the leak look up hill or up wind!
    kshansen
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/11 20:38:01 (permalink)
    So I guess the question is did the guy report the "casting problem" and is it getting fixed?
    Sabertown
    Starting Member
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/11 22:25:01 (permalink)
    Still waiting to hear from the shop now they know it's not the oil seal leaking and that it's a casting problem as to what's happening
    Sabertown
    Starting Member
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/14 00:57:22 (permalink)
    Soooo get a call from the shop to say warranty isn't transferable so he has tapped the hole and put a screw in which has stopped the leak, guess confirms I was right about where the leak was! I said that's not right no matter who owns a 22mo 850 ic engine u shouldn't have a porous leaking g sump so he told me to ring briggs and stratton, I also phone Masport who weren't happy how the shop was handling this do called them also. I phoned briggs and stratton who said this was a problem they had had a couple of times before and that they will fix it as a good will warranty! yay for briggs and stratton. Picture shows brown on the sides is oil, originally I thought it was dirt till looking closer.

Attached Image(s)

Roy
    • Total Posts : 526
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/14 11:52:10 (permalink)
    I'm glad Briggs stepped up to the plate. If the dealer had been more conscientious he could have contacted his distributor and got it resolved rather than jerry rigging a fix.
    post edited by Roy - 2018/06/14 11:54:57
    AVB
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/14 14:30:51 (permalink)
    Depending the system in place is what limits what get things done.

Being a non-dealer, I recently had a pair ignition coils that Kohler said were under warranty and for me to carry to a dealer and they would replace them. No joy there as all the dealers refused as they wanted me drag the 60" cut ZTR into their shop for repairs. When I call Kohler they changed their story and that I had to drag in the complete mower to get warranty replacement of the coils.

Well the customer wasn't going to wait thru the 30 days backlog to get his mower back and had me to install the new coils in my shop which was 3 days including shipping time for the parts.

One thing I get from my experiences with the local dealer is how hard nosed they are and they still think I will buy parts locally. Not going to happen any more...
    Sabertown
    Starting Member
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/14 14:40:49 (permalink)
    Dealer feels very unapproachable and hard nosed as you say. This is advertised as a friendly franchise with approachable staff... I'm going to ask for a refund of the oil seal they replaced since now that and the new oil they put in will be thrown away when they fit the warranty sum. Why should I foot the cost especially when I told them in the first place it was leaking around the blanked off fitting in the sump. Gotta wait for the sump to be shipped in, I'm in New Zealand.
    Sabertown
    Starting Member
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/21 14:47:45 (permalink)
    New sump arrived in about a week and was fitted promptly under warranty and I got a refund on the initial crank seal replacement. I saw the old leaking sump and from the inside the 3 small holes looked like little bullets sticking up but the one leaking looked like it had a fold init like some metal had set before the whole casting was poured or something but it was easy to see and I wonder why this wasn't spotted during assembly at the factory when it was new.

Attached Image(s)

Roy
    • Total Posts : 526
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Oil seal good or bad? 2018/06/21 21:30:45 (permalink)
    Glad you got it properly fixed. Good for the dealer to look after it.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC