Author
sgtrudz
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/15 17:07:32 (permalink)

Gererac ,hard starting

I have a 20KW,2 cylinder,Natural gas generator that goes thru 2 long cranking start sequences before finally starting.I have kept up regular service per the manufacturer,plugs, oil,filters,valve clearance,etc. With air filter cover off, & watching while its trying to start,I noticed that the choke disc on 1 of the 2 venturis initially closes then opens,then closes again.Is that normal ?Shouldn't it stay closed until start up ? It does eventually start after 2 long cranking sequences. Is there a way to adjust how long the choke stays closed ? Some dip switches or something controlling the choke solenoid ? Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks, Sgt. Rudz.

4 Replies Related Threads

Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 1040
    • Scores: 39
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Gererac ,hard starting 2018/06/16 19:20:45 (permalink)
    Any idea what model #'s of generac it is?
    sgtrudz
    Starting Member
    Re: Gererac ,hard starting 2018/06/16 21:07:09 (permalink)
    Mike, other than the kilowatt rating, tomorrow, I'll go back over to the house it's at & look for a plate or label w/ model & spec numbers.I will then post it here. Thanks, Sgt Rudz
    sgtrudz
    Starting Member
    Re: Gererac ,hard starting 2018/06/17 15:01:08 (permalink)
    Okay,Mike1.I've got the model # of the 30 me generac that's driving me crazy.It is model# 0058751 , ser.# 7079266. If you've got any advice,I'll try it. Thanks ,sgt.rudz .
    HomeImprover
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Gererac ,hard starting 2020/03/28 19:40:36 (permalink)
    New to the forums, and I realize this is an old post, but, I thought I would add my 2¢.
    Mine is a 17kw/16kw (LPG/NG) Generac that had failed to start in 3 successive weekly tests. I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, and plugs. The battery is only 2 years old, and it cranks just fine. After that it started ok, for 2 weeks, then no more. The troubleshooting guide said to do all those things and check the valve lash. Today I attempted to adjust them. I opened the first valve cover and found one rocker arm loose (I could literally spin it around the bolt - no contact with the push rod). There were also a lot of metal filings, chips, and chunks in the bottom. Got it apart and found the push rod was a good inch shorter than the other 3! I gotta believe that the factory installed the wrong rod – could it have actually ground down that much? The rocker bolt was about 1/2 worn away - pretty much destroyed. I didn't find any metal in the oil when I changed it. The other 3 rockers adjusted just fine. I’ve ordered new parts from Jacks for about $25 and hope they arrive by this weekend so I can put the generator back together again. Just hope the engine didn't get damaged through all this.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC