Hot!bent push rods

Author
William
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/22 00:40:57 (permalink)

bent push rods

my 18 hp. v twin briggs bent the pushrods on the right hand cylinder after removing the valve cover and bent push rods I could push the valves in by hand. straightened the pushrods put engine back together it ran fine for about 6 hours or long enough to mow the lawns twice started it up to cut grass today ran fine for about five minutes then bent righthand exhaust valve pushrod again removed cover I am able to push the valve in by hand it goes in and out with no binding or sticking I noticed that one pushrod is steel and one is aluminium which one goes where or does it matter engine model #405577 type 0111 E1

3 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 703
    • Scores: 31
    Re: bent push rods 2018/06/22 06:56:25 (permalink)
    Most likely you have a valve guide that moved out of place causing the valve to bottom out on top of the guide bending the push rod. You quite lucky that the push has fell out of place and gone down inside the engine going the spokes of the camshaft doing a lot of internal damage. These valve guides are non-replaceable though some techs drive back in place and ring peen them in place.

Yes it does matter which push rod goes where as they slightly different length. The aluminum one is the intake and the steel is the exhaust. Also the steel handles the heat transfer of the exhaust better than the aluminum one.
    William
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    Re: bent push rods 2018/06/22 12:59:04 (permalink)
    to check the guides does the head have to be removed when you say the guide moved out of place would I be correct assuming that it moved farther toward the head end of the valve causing the valve to momentarily stick on the carbon build up at the top of the stem
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 703
    • Scores: 31
    Re: bent push rods 2018/06/22 13:40:51 (permalink)
    William
    to check the guides does the head have to be removed when you say the guide moved out of place would I be correct assuming that it moved farther toward the head end of the valve causing the valve to momentarily stick on the carbon build up at the top of the stem

I actually them to move out toward the rocker arm causing to bottom out thus causing the push to bend as the lifters continue trying to open the valve which being bottom out can move any further. Basically as if put a solid piece in preventing the rocker from moving. I have even a few broken rocker arms on account of this.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC