Hot!MTD Steering what now?

Author
Bcuda
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/22 06:13:30 (permalink)

MTD Steering what now?

I have a 2008 Yard Machines 13RN772G029 mower. It's in okay shape for its age but the steering has stripped out. I replaced the steering gear, shaft, and the bronze bushing for the shaft. With all the new parts, the gear teeth dont mesh and are stripping out the shaft gear again. The parts are supposed to be MTD OEM parts. Nothing is missing according to the parts diagram. Nothing appears to be worn in the chassis. I'm so stumped here. It seems like the steering shaft gear is too small of diameter to mesh correctly. I moved the top plate under the steering gear to raise it up and it appears to mesh a little better but still not good. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

3 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 725
    • Scores: 31
    Re: MTD Steering what now? 2018/06/22 07:10:16 (permalink)
    The only thing I can think of is the two bolts holding the steering sector gear are loose in their holes because MTD used full threaded bolts instead partial threaded bolts. Or at least that what I have ran into.

Then of course it could be a size problem but you need the old gear to the new one to see if you see any differences including pivot point location.
    Bcuda
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    Re: MTD Steering what now? 2018/06/22 07:40:27 (permalink)
    Unfortunately I threw away the old shaft. I am going to see how much slop is in the holes this weekend. I check the bolt part numbers today and they are correct. If I have to I may use a die grinder and welder to move the hole closer to the shaft. I don't know what else to do. Its not a complicated system. I really though new parts would take care of it.

Bob
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 725
    • Scores: 31
    Re: MTD Steering what now? 2018/06/22 08:19:52 (permalink)
    Yes I have done that before myself especially for worn out mounting holes. It one of the reasons I have carbide rotary file for my die grinder. I usually when I can re-enforce the areas too.

I currently have Huskee mower sitting on my shop yard where the MTD engine has worn the engine mounting hole so much that the engine has move rearward over an inch until the mower no longer moves due to loose belts. The customer was unwilling to pay for me to replace the crankcase (oil pan) and weld up those holes while re-enforcing the new mounting holes. Engine just hits too hard for the current frame thickness. Instead he goes out and buy a new ZTR.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC