Hot!Engine repair for Craftsman snowblower

Author
gswartz
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/07/07 21:32:39 (permalink)

Engine repair for Craftsman snowblower

My dad tried to start his snowblower a couple of years ago and when he did, a bunch of fur flew up from the motor and then it wouldn't turn over anymore.  I just replaced the carburetor on my snowblower so I thought why not take a look at his and see if I could fix it.  Well, after tearing into it I found that there was bird seed all through the carb and into the valves.  I disassembled all of that and cleaned the valves with carb cleaner.  I'm planning on just replacing the carb.  But I'm not seeing any fur or evidence of a critter.  So I removed the motor from the base and started opening that up.  I must say, I've never done anything this ambitious before.  The most I've ever done is replace a carb so this is all new for me.

After removing the motor from the base I removed the pully on the one side and the nut that holds the "flywheel(?)" to it.  I had hoped that would allow it to open up freely from the other side.  But after removing all of the bolts holding the front plate in place, I can only open it up about a half inch.  I'm not sure why it won't open all the way but I want to get in there and make sure nothing is keeping it from turning properly.  When I manually try to turn it it will only turn a total of 2 full revolutions and then stops.  I would think that it should turn freely as much as I'm turning it?

In addition I had a couple of other questions.  While trying to open it up all the way I (stupidly) tried hammering the opposite side but all that did was bend some of the threads of the bolt.  Can I cut that first eighth inch off with a dremel or something to get the nut to screw back on?  Secondly, if/when I can get that front plate off, what can I use to clean out the inside of the engine?  Please see attached images for reference.  Thanks!

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

gswartz
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Engine repair for Craftsman snowblower 2018/07/08 19:14:16 (permalink)
    I eventually got things worked out.  I used a vice grip around the center of the shaft to hold it in place and then a 14mm wrench to loosen the locking nut on the shaft.  After doing that I was able to remove all of the pieces in front of the plate and the plate.  I then was able to easily turn the shaft beyond 2 turns.  I found that one of the gears on the inside had a slide plate on a spring that I "think" was stuck in a position that was causing it to lock up.  I lubed that up, cleaned it all out and now it turns freely in any direction.  Here's hoping it will all work well and fire up once I get it all put back together.
    Roy
    • Total Posts : 565
    • Scores: 15
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Engine repair for Craftsman snowblower 2018/07/08 20:59:50 (permalink)
    "one of the gears on the inside had a slide plate on a spring that I "think" was stuck in a position that was causing it to lock" That is the automatic compression release on the camshaft which normally would not cause a lockup condition. It is designed to bump the valve open momentarily for easier starting.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC