Author
GussNemo
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/08/24 18:14:29 (permalink)

Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower

I am banging my head up against a wall trying to get the correct replacement starter for my Craftsman 650 series mower, model #917.376742, that has a B&S engine, model #1245053848B2.  I know that starter part #799045 supersedes the starter on my mower, part #695550.  The problem deals with the need to ground the wiring harness or the starter puts out a short, killing voltage from the battery (this information came from an instruction sheet shown on Repair Clinic for part #799045).

So far I've ordered from two different places, one did not carry the needed small cable, and one is re-sending my order and "making sure there are no missing parts" according to the rep I spoke with.  The picture on the Sears Parts Direct for part #799045 shows two small cables that should come with the starter, one with a square end and on with the two ends needed for my mower plus the needed ground hook up.

If, perchance, the order from Sears Parts Direct doesn't have the needed small cable with the ground hook up, again, does anyone know who would have what I would need for my Craftsman 650 series mower?  And before anyone asks, yes, I did test the wiring harness for both voltage and continuity and everything tested good.  And connecting the starter directly to the battery did not work because the starter was putting out a short, as was written in the instructions on the Repair Clinic site for starter 799045.

7 Replies Related Threads

GussNemo
    Starting Member
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/06 11:28:51 (permalink)
    This is for others who may find themselves in my position, so they don't end up with bruises on their forehead as I did.
    After again trying to find the small cable I talked about in my original post, I found out from a nice person at Small Engine Suppliers(.com) it's called a "wire adapter" and does not come with the 799045 starter, that B&S so wisely replaced the 695550 starter with (tongue in cheek here).  The only "wire adapter" that comes with the 799045 starter is part #695268, which is useful if a square end connection is required on one end.  But my needs were for a bayonet style connector at each end so the "wire adapter" part #695897 is needed.  This "wire adapter" also has the needed extra ground wire which is required so one side of the 799045 starter is grounded to the engine block, otherwise a short results and kills the voltage coming from the 12V battery.

Why B&S didn't also include the "wire adapter" 695897 along with the 799045 starter is a mystery, since the 695550 starter was already grounded to the starter body, thus grounded to the engine when the starter was mounted to the engine.  Also seems a mystery as to why no site I visited didn't mention the need for the 695897 "wire adapter" if the previous starter was itself grounded.  Whatever the reason for the lack of additional information, it was quite a trip to finally getting all the necessary parts to hopefully get the starter on my Craftsman 650 series mower up and working again.
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 595
    • Scores: 24
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/06 14:07:39 (permalink)
    Tnx for the detail info. I haven't need to do this starter replacement yet so I just an internal inventory file with your notes for future reference. Again thanks for the info.
    GussNemo
    Starting Member
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/06 15:03:50 (permalink)
    You're very welcome, AVB, just wish the sites I visited had known about this little tidbit as well--B&S really should have sent out notices about all this, if they didn't.  Or, sent out both "wire adapters" to begin with.
    AVB
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/06 16:38:06 (permalink)
    Oh sorta like the behind the scenes contract dealings of Briggs with the distributors and dealers where they can not sell aftermarket parts if it is for a Briggs product. Just acting like the mafia. That is one the reasons I will not sign up as a dealer for Briggs as I like my independence of buying from whoever has the best parts at the best price. The other is that I can not guarantee to a minimum $5000 per year in parts. I am not going to be limited to where I can obtain my parts.

If you look around some there other things going too like where OEM like MTD are no longer listing or selling individual spindle parts but instead now insisting on us buying complete high priced units. Or Husqvarna is superseding part numbers just to make parts harder to get except from them even though they are the same parts. Then there is the intentional hiding of belt sizes so we can't easily sub a belt.

To me it is a bunch of crooked stuff that has been going in the last year. As you can tell I am fed up with all the BS these OEMs are putting out lately.
    GussNemo
    Starting Member
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/06 22:11:24 (permalink)
    Hmmm...not a very good way to conduct business, as it doesn't take every situation into account.  It also assumes there are dealers in every corner of the market so users can take their equipment in when repairs are necessary.  Someone living in "nowhere, anywhere," can't spend the several hours driving to and from what may be the largest city close to them just to get a mower fixed, so they need to be able to find the parts necessary to make the repairs themselves.  And if they get the internet runaround, then it might be better to pitch what they have and go with another brand, that acts like they want their business, thereby causing this or that company a sale.

Just because a company has been around a long time doesn't mean it can't fall flat on its face if it starts treating potential customers like they are a headache.  And when they start treating long time customers in this way it's a good bet it won't be long before their brand becomes a distant memory.  Customer service seems to have been replaced with the bottom line by some companies, believing it more important to keep expenses rock bottom than provide high quality service.  It is important to watch expenses when running a business, but not at the expense of good customer service.  For without good customer service it won't matter what expenses occur because it won't be long before there won't be a need for any expenses. 
    AVB
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/07 08:25:49 (permalink)
    I have been in the service industry every since '79. I have used a lot aftermarket parts and OEM with very good results. Sometimes the aftermarket are even a better quality, part other times they are very very lousy. Just because it is available doesn't mean it is good. This sites like this one where various mechanics and DYIers come together to relate our experiences with a particular product or company does help.

As time goes go long some vendors become better and others get worse. I got one vendor that I with I nearly dropped completely due to one of their vendors started making v-belts that were constantly shorter than advertise. Sometimes as much as 2 inches. They got into spindles of mounting design that didn't work well with their very good blades and sent me them without noting the change out. Since I had ordered as a stock item I simply put them on the shelf without opening the boxes. I ended up having to change every one of the spindle shafts so the blades mounted correctly. Currently I am very careful about things from this vendor as they got to earn my trust back.

I do have customers that go to eBay and buy absolutely the cheapest thing they can and have all kinds of problems and end with me having to install the correct good working parts. Some have learned that I will do them fair even through it costs more at times due how I must access the parts but they know is done right and that even though I am very small will stand behind my work as I do provide a warranty on the work done. Now if it a different problem or additional parts then of course charge extra.

When it comes to parts I do a lot research before buying a particular item. Something I have seen in the last year is vendors claiming to sell OEM parts at low price just send out an aftermarket parts. It isn't that the part is aftermarket but if I am selling an OEM part it better be an OEM as they sometimes a requirement of my customer. Some customers only trust OEM parts and others will let me use my best judgement and experience on the replacement part.
    GussNemo
    Starting Member
    Re: Starter for Craftsman 650 series mower 2018/09/07 12:53:40 (permalink)
    When something breaks, or wears out, and I know I can do the work myself, the hardest thing I've found is getting the right part to replace the broken, or worn out, part.  It's as though getting what's needed is a guarded secret, sometimes, like the problem I had with the starter for my mower.  The starter was available, but the "wire adapter" needed seemed to have been hidden in reams of diagrams or web pages with no pictures.  Those who have been in the business of small engine repair for a number of years are likely to have the necessary information, most times, so they can get the necessary part(s).  But for the DIY person, it can be a nightmare.  And when the part doesn't work, as the 799045 starter on my mower, where does the DIY person turn?  Back to the web(?).  That may be their only source of information.

Companies need to understand that there are a lot of people who are DIY people if they feel they can do the work, so for these people, information needs to be readily and plainly available.  None of this merry-go-round on one web site until the person finally gives up.  None of this bury it deep on a web site, or hide it here or there, again causing the person frustration.  None of this years out of date material which compounds the frustration even more.  Maybe companies want customers to take their equipment to THEIR dealers, but how's that possible when the customer lives several hours away from the closet dealer?  And it's cheaper for them to have parts delivered.  As I said in my last post, companies only exist because of their customer base.  And if they frustrate the customer enough, they WILL go somewhere else.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC