ARMYtango
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/02 08:23:37 (permalink)

Testing a clutch

Hey all!
Was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to test to see if a clutch is bad or not.
I just replaced the engine on my 2013 Snapper Pro S50XT ZT. When it was completed, I fired it up to test it...along with testing the PTO and making sure the blades spin.
I had success and everything seemed to work great, so I put the mower away.
A couple days later, I go to use it and nothing happens when I pull the PTO switch. I know that the switch still works because if I go to engage the blades when I am not sitting on the machine, it kills the engine, which tells me both the PTO and safety switches are working. I also know that the fuse is still good as well.
So am I wrong to think that maybe the clutch is now bad? Is there a good way to test it, or is there something else I should be looking at?
Thank you all in advance for your help!

2 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 729
    • Scores: 31
    Re: Testing a clutch 2018/10/02 09:49:28 (permalink)
    Actually need the 7 digit model form serial for parts lookup.

But since replaced first verify that you reinstalled the PTO correctly and that the anti rotation device is in place. Without it the clutch can spin and rip the wires out especially on shut of the PTO.

As simply testing of the PTO it depends if the PTO has a diode in it or not. Without knowing you can check to see if 12v is making it to the clutch with the engine not running but with ignition and PTO switches on. If present then check the PTO coil for resistance of 1.7 ohms or higher usually no more 4 ohms. If within spec and you know which side the +12 goes in then you can manually apply 12v to clutch to see if it engages.

If 12v is present at the clutch then you need back trace checking the wire and switches. A wiring diagram is a big help here.
    ARMYtango
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Scores: 0
    Re: Testing a clutch 2018/10/02 11:48:04 (permalink)
    5100915  CLUTCH, # 5219-34A, ELECTRIC, IS500Z
    The Anti rotation device is in place and solidly bolted in.  The clutch did bump back and forth slightly on it but that is due to the slot being slightly wider than the anti rotation device.

I will check the ohms at the plug near the clutch to see what I am getting there.

Thank you!
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC