Wiring solonoid

Author
Mobileempire
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/18 20:30:06 (permalink)

Wiring solonoid

I wired up my solonoid model type 745001MA just like in the picture I posted , worked fine for about 2 days , I came back about a week later and it wouldn't start , I charged up the battery and it popped right off , next day I went to start it and the push button momentary switch was burned out , my choke actuator was also burned up to where it was seized .
Any body have any ideas what went wrong ,?
Did my charger burn them up?
Wired wrong?
I know I need to yet add fuses but I don't see why the stuff burnt up .
Thanks

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

Mobileempire
    Re: Wiring solonoid 2018/10/20 22:57:24 (permalink)
    Anybody?
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 687
    • Scores: 31
    Re: Wiring solonoid 2018/10/21 02:42:15 (permalink)
    Provided the choke is design for the working voltage of the system it should be fine as long it is a temporary voltage is applied but they are not design to operate continuously as they will overheat without the engine running to cool them.

As for the push button switch burning out make sure it has the appropriate current rating for the solenoid trigger coil current draw. Use at least switch that has a 50% over safety factor. Example if the solenoid pulls 5 amps you should the next higher rated switch such as a 10 amp.

As for the circuit is layout in your diagram just charging the battery will not fry things as long nothing is on and/or activated provided that the charger is offline before attempting a start-up. Most chargers do produce higher than charge voltage as they are pulsed but with the battery as load it is usually not a problem as they don't charge above 14.8v for 12V. Other than that the circuit layout is fine as it the simplest form of the starter solenoid activation circuit.
    Mobileempire
    Re: Wiring solonoid 2018/10/21 09:14:47 (permalink)
    Thanks AVB, turns out that the case of the push button starter switch was slightly loose and
    so the contacts weren't touching, this was a brand new switch from the auto parts store.
    Fixed it with 2 zip ties.

As for the choke actuator I don't why it seized , the basic toggle switch that was used to turn the
    actuator on and off was unharmed
    Mobileempire
    Re: Wiring solonoid 2018/10/21 09:18:08 (permalink)
    Picture

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC