Troy Built Gen

Author
holt3780
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/31 19:23:47 (permalink)

Troy Built Gen

Hi there. I have a charging problem with my Troy-Built gen set model 030247 it has a Briggs model246435 on it The battery losses its charge  after sitting for a while.When I look for replacement charging parts  I dont find any charging parts for this engine. Could it be that the battery is charged by the generator itself and the tender keeps it charged. I did find a regulator behind the plastic cover on the back of the generator itself. I don't know if this regulator is for the gen or if its for charging the battery also. any help will be appreciatd thanks   

3 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Scores: 31
    Re: Troy Built Gen 2018/10/31 19:42:59 (permalink)
    No the generator doesn't directly charge the battery. The battery is only charge via battery charger. The AVR you are referring to is for the generator AC output regulation. The AVR does however provides a regulated 12vdc to the generator's alternator's rotor to control the AC output voltage.

BTW the battery sole purpose is to operate the electric starter.

post edited by AVB - 2018/10/31 19:44:17
    Mrcalm
    Master of None
    • Total Posts : 19
    • Scores: 0
    Re: Troy Built Gen 2018/11/01 02:05:44 (permalink)
    Did you have the battery checked for a bad cell or maybe it is not able to hold a charge. When having an electrical problem I was taught that the starting point of diagnostics is the power source. If it is ok then I would use your model of tractor and go to you tube and it may give you instructions to check the system. Good luck with great success. 
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Scores: 31
    Re: Troy Built Gen 2018/11/01 02:42:11 (permalink)
    Mrcalm
    Did you have the battery checked for a bad cell or maybe it is not able to hold a charge. When having an electrical problem I was taught that the starting point of diagnostics is the power source. If it is ok then I would use your model of tractor and go to you tube and it may give you instructions to check the system. Good luck with great success.

Sir you should do your research first before assuming it is mower (tractor) as it is a portable generator. It something that can get you killed if you don't know what you are doing as it is 240/120 vac unit when it is operating properly.

I personally I do not recommend a layman working on these unit with the proper knowledge as I personally know of customers here that have die from 120 vac electrocution.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC