B&S Quantum 12H802-2611B1 throttle assembly

Author
RGK
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2018/11/10 23:28:27 (permalink)

B&S Quantum 12H802-2611B1 throttle assembly

New to the forums; trying to solve hard start/low RPM running on a Snapper mower with this engine.  Is the throttle assembly and springs supposed to be relatively loose without the engine running?  I have searched various sites and cannot find anything helpful.  Picture of the linkage attached.  Thanks.

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Scores: 31
    Re: B&S Quantum 12H802-2611B1 throttle assembly 2018/11/11 03:24:10 (permalink)
    Yes should be fairly loose but still have some tension on them at the full throttle position just not a whole lot.

You need to find out what the rpm setting your particular mower is as it varies depending the size of the blade use. Then you can set it to the correct rpm by bending the tab the governor it attached to to increase or decrease the max speed.

As for hard starting this engine appears to be primer system. These primers don't work right once the air cleaner base is removed as they tend to warp from heat and from over tightening the mounting screws. There are techniques to get the primer back working. Sometimes it double up gaskets; other it is a modify gasket stack that I use to get the primer sealed to the carburetor. Other time if the air cleaner is badly warp only replacement will work.
    RGK
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    Re: B&S Quantum 12H802-2611B1 throttle assembly 2018/11/11 07:51:44 (permalink)
    Thanks AVB.  The primer bulb has been replaced and I have dbled up on the air cleaner base gasket.  I'll replace the base and double check the primer operation.  It starts fine with a squirt of starter fluid,  bowl is full of fuel, carb has been cleaned out.  When the throttle is moved to full, the butterfly is not opening, that's why the initial question, wasn't sure if the governor was a problem.  I'll just play around with it once it warms up a bit here. 
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Scores: 31
    Re: B&S Quantum 12H802-2611B1 throttle assembly 2018/11/11 09:53:11 (permalink)
    The governor spring should holding throttle butterfly wide open when the engine is not running. Is it? It is easy to install the butterfly wrong. If everything is as it should you should be able put a little more tension on the governor spring to increase the rpms.

If the primer is working properly you shouldn't need to use the starter fluid to get it to start. When you press the primer a few times there fuel coming out the nozzle in the carburetor throat like a percolator. Just doubling up gaskets don't work all the time. Look at the impression left on the gasket from the air cleaner base and will if you are making full contact.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC