Author
bloodyknuckles
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/03/20 17:35:25 (permalink)

B+S 5HP Quantum problem

Hi, folks.  Brand new here - I usually pull wrenches on cars (Subarus, Ramblers), and this is the first time I've gotten serious about a small engine.

I have a Karcher pressure washer with this motor.  After priming three pumps, it starts reliably on the first pull, after which it runs really rough/missy, seems to smooth out a little, then gets rough again and dies - all in about a minute.  Then it won't start again until it's had time to cool off.

Here's what I know:  New plug, gapped to .030" per date spec.  Blows a lot of smoke while it runs.  New plug has black wetness on it when pulled, and compression is 75psi.  I pulled out the carb and learned there's nothing to adjust.

Based on all that, can anyone offer any hints?

11 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 742
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/20 18:38:58 (permalink)
    Has it been sitting all winter with gas in it?
    bloodyknuckles
    Starting Member
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/20 18:56:06 (permalink)
    No, it's new to me and came empty.  However, I did fill it from a jug leftover from last fall, so the gas is old, but not crazy old.
    kshansen
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 06:31:22 (permalink)
    You say "it's new to me and came empty." So do I take that to mean it's NOT new just that you recently acquired it?

As always trying to diagnose with out seeing it can be tricky if not impossible. One thing I might be looking at is the possibility there is a problem causing it to be starting under too heavy a load. Is there a way to open a valve or something to be sure it's not working too hard on start up?

And as you mentioned it, Ramblers???? 
    bloodyknuckles
    Starting Member
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 09:05:12 (permalink)
    kshansen
    You say "it's new to me and came empty." So do I take that to mean it's NOT new just that you recently acquired it?

Correct.  Thrift shop find, so it's reasonable to assume that the PO dumped it because it was misbehaving.

As always trying to diagnose with out seeing it can be tricky if not impossible. One thing I might be looking at is the possibility there is a problem causing it to be starting under too heavy a load. Is there a way to open a valve or something to be sure it's not working too hard on start up?

I suppose that's possible, and I haven't yet looked below at the pump, but it doesn't feel highly-loaded when I pull the starter cord.  I'll  have to figure out how it's coupled to the pump.

What, yawanna make somethin' of it?  Yeah, I've been gradually resurrecting a '64 Classic four-door over the past couple of years.  It has a 196 straight-6 at the moment, but once it's up and running the plan is to replace that with an (AMC) 327.

kshansen
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 14:10:56 (permalink)
    bloodyknuckles
    kshansen

Correct.  Thrift shop find, so it's reasonable to assume that the PO dumped it because it was misbehaving.

I suppose that's possible, and I haven't yet looked below at the pump, but it doesn't feel highly-loaded when I pull the starter cord.  I'll  have to figure out how it's coupled to the pump.

What, yawanna make somethin' of it?  Yeah, I've been gradually resurrecting a '64 Classic four-door over the past couple of years.  It has a 196 straight-6 at the moment, but once it's up and running the plan is to replace that with an (AMC) 327.

If it is possible to separate the pump from the motor I think I'd try that route.
    As for the Rambler, one of my favorite cars was a `64 American, flat head straight six three on the tree!
    bloodyknuckles
    Starting Member
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 14:31:49 (permalink)
    kshansenIf it is possible to separate the pump from the motor I think I'd try that route.

Sure like to, but it's not entirely obvious to me how they're coupled or how to get at where they are.

As for the Rambler, one of my favorite cars was a `64 American, flat head straight six three on the tree!

Never really into the Americans, though they were cute in convertible.  Always more fond of the four-door Classic around 1964, though I also have a '65 Ambo 327 ragtop that, sadly, fell into serious disrepair during an extended parked spell.

[edit]

Okay, I think I sorted it out - oil-soaked air filter.  That'd make for super-easy starts, but not much after that.  Took it off and it's running quite nicely.  Will get a new one asap.  Sometimes it's just the dumb obvious stuff you overlook...

post edited by bloodyknuckles - 2019/03/21 15:26:57
    kshansen
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 17:18:06 (permalink)
    bloodyknuckles
    Okay, I think I sorted it out - oil-soaked air filter.  That'd make for super-easy starts, but not much after that.  Took it off and it's running quite nicely.  Will get a new one asap.  Sometimes it's just the dumb obvious stuff you overlook...

Sound great! Thanks for letting us know what you found, one of my pet-peeves is someone asking for help and after getting some suggestion they disappear from the forum!g to work washing that 

Now get to work washing that `64 Classic. Another AMC I liked was the `68 Javelin my dad had, 6 cylinder auto and it would spin the tires on take off!

Roy
    • Total Posts : 742
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 19:34:13 (permalink)
    Somebody tipped it over then couldn't start it. Their loss is your gain and you learned something. AMC made some nice cars, I drove a 67 Rebel, not mine, with the 343. That car was fun! And the Javelins and AMXs were no slouches either.
    bloodyknuckles
    Starting Member
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/21 21:12:48 (permalink)
    Possibly - but that may have been me, since I didn't know at the time that this is a risk and tipped it to get it into the hatchback.  Also, the jury's still out on the overall function, since I haven't tested the pump yet.  Will do that tomorrow and hope there aren't any bad surprises waiting, like it having been frozen and cracked.

Yeah, those Rebels are when things started to get serious alright.  And the Javelins and AMXes with the - what? 401s? - were just animals.  Crazy ridiculous overpowered.

Oliver Douglas
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/30 20:43:51 (permalink)
    Guess, blown head gasket. Another guess, air jets plugged in carb.
    At our shop we rip every pressure washer carb apart. Yours Id do a leak down on it first.
    That would show head gasket of valve leakage

The last car my ole man owned was a 1963 Rambler Super Classic 4 door. His was 396/4 speed powered.
    The kid my mother sold it to, his grand son owns it now. They painted it purple
    post edited by Oliver Douglas - 2019/03/30 20:46:16
    bloodyknuckles
    Starting Member
    Re: B+S 5HP Quantum problem 2019/03/30 21:26:07 (permalink)
    Good guesses, but wrong.  If you read my posts you'll see that the only problem was an oil-soaked air filter.  Runs great now.  The pump is another matter:  Two of the three valves are mangled up, and I'm not impressed by what Karcher charges for replacements.  I'm waiting to hear back from their rep now.

Wrt to the carb, though, that was the first thing I looked at.  Never seen a carb with so little in it.  If I thought it needed cleaning I probably would have tossed it into my ultrasonic cleaner - that thing is excellent for cleaning out little jets and passages.

In 1963 that 396 was mos def not stock...

post edited by bloodyknuckles - 2019/03/31 11:27:25
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC