ovidiumght
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/04/18 09:40:02 (permalink)

Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston

Hey everybody,

I have a 14hp briggs and stratton vanguard motor. A few days back, I changed the oil, rode around in it for about 5 minutes and then it started to knock and die. It would never start again, and I tried a lot.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the spark plug head was broken, and a valve is missing. Do you think this engine is salvageable, what do you think happened?

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 661
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/18 11:33:40 (permalink)
    YIKES! Either the valve keeper failed or the stem snapped. That is the early 29 c.i. engine, a lot of parts including the head which you will certainly need are nla. Time for another engine.
    post edited by Roy - 2019/04/18 11:36:04
    ovidiumght
    Starting Member
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/18 11:38:54 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. The engine number is in the first picture, it's model number 294777. I called a local distributor in Romania, and they have the piston and the rod, that was what I suspected I need. 

Do you think the valve went into the crankcase and wrecked havoc with the timing or something else in there? Or it couldn't get past the rod? The cylinders still move when I turn the flywheel, I didn't checked if the valve rockers do.
    Roy
    • Total Posts : 661
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/18 22:37:02 (permalink)
    There will be a lot of debris in the crankcase but the lower end likely has minimal damage. If the block is undamaged you can check for cylinder taper, the engine is almost 30 years old and likely has considerable wear. If the head which is almost certainly destroyed is not available don't spend any more time on it, the newer style won't fit.
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 971
    • Scores: 43
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/19 05:40:20 (permalink)
    Roy, I would need to differ on the parts availability comment in post #2. According to my Briggs price file that I just download and install in my system last month the cylinder heads are available for that 1991 engine.

But as noted there is sever damage and I would thought someone would notice both the noise and power lost. Anyway I think the cylinder walls are damaged too. Personally I would just just install a new engine (305777-3032-G1) as the damage in parts alone is going to be over 50% of the replacement engine cost. Now the replacement engine would need to have a crankshaft swap out. Now if I remember correctly Briggs will have you send the swapped crankshaft back for credit but this is something that the dealer or distributor would need to do.
    ovidiumght
    Starting Member
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/19 06:02:56 (permalink)
    Ok, I looked more into this. I will take it apart tonight to see the damge. I live in Romania, and there are not so many briggs and stratton parts and options here  I found the heads in the us on ebay, and can arrange for someone to bring them to me. Is the first number match enough (294777) to make sure the heads will fit? Worst case, I understood that you can add somekind of sleeves on the cylinder if the wall is damaged. I found the piston and rod here new for around 200usd, will keep looking, there are some second hand parts available too, but it is hard to match the exact model. 

Here in Romania, lawn tractors are not so widespread, and they are quite expensive, and parts hard to find. This is my second one, and would like to fix it, even if it's on the more expensive side of being economically viable, I like it :). Plus it gives me something to do.

If I can fix it for 200-300 usd, it would make sense to me, as a new engine is around 1000 euros here.

I will post pictures later tonight after I open it, and will take it to a mechanic to see what he says. 
    ovidiumght
    Starting Member
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/19 15:48:03 (permalink)
    Ok, I opened the engine. I only removed the oil cover. Everything looks good, nothing broken or bent. I ordered the cylinder heads, from what I could see from the front and the behind, the cylinder head is like glass. Worst case I will go the sleeve route. I only found 2 small aluminium pieces in the oil, probably from the piston. The valve is still mia, probably above the piston still.

Sorry for the quality of the images, but my phone and myself were drenched in oil :).

Attached Image(s)

ovidiumght
    Starting Member
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/22 05:08:10 (permalink)
    You were right, the valve was lodged into the piston. There is some scoring on the cylinder wall. I am looking now for oversize pistons, and I think this can be salvaged.

Attached Image(s)

ovidiumght
    Starting Member
    Re: Briggs and stratton valve? went through the piston 2019/04/23 06:35:37 (permalink)
    I also have another question, if you can help me. The heads I ordered are marked 1-D and 2-D, my blown head is marked 1-A, what does this mean? Is there a chance they won't fit?
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC