Hot!Troybuilt won't run full throttle

Author
riversr54
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/04/23 11:47:58 (permalink)

Troybuilt won't run full throttle

I have a Troybuilt 575 (4 cycle) that starts and runs fine until I try to go full throttle. I've done some research and found that there are several possible causes. I've done the basics, clean the air filter, fresh fuel, etc. but that hasn't helped. I've read that the carburetor on this particular model can be very temperamental. Am I looking at a carburetor rebuild/replacement or are there other things I can do before taking that path?

I would very much appreciate any advice/tips.

Regards,

6 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 1151
    • Scores: 45
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/04/23 16:57:19 (permalink)
    Personally with the ones that are coming into the shop here you are better just buying a new unit. These have oiling problems and generally only last maybe to two or three seasons before they start having excessive blow by causing a lot oil in the air cleaner. Even seen where these would at full speed for less than 15 minutes and then start bogging due excessive cylinder wear.

If you want a reliable 4 cycle string trimmer by a Shindaiwa C4 or a Stihl 4-mix trimmer. Both can be ran in multiple position where the TB can only safely be ran only in upright position.
    riversr54
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/04/24 10:32:31 (permalink)
    I appreciate your feedback and you are probably correct, but I'm getting really tired of having to buy a new unit every 2-3 years. Seems to me like they plan it that way.

ded3280
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/04/28 23:38:11 (permalink)
    probably not the issue but my father in laws would bog at full throttle a good bit. I would loosen the gas cap and it would run fine. I always hated that thing. it is a troy built not sure of the model though.
    BillOhio
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/04/29 08:01:18 (permalink)
    If I’m reading you and your reply-er correctly, your machine is a TB rear tine tiller. Correct? If so, yes the engine is always tilted and causes oil problems. If that’s not true, there could be a fuel obstruction ie, fuel line , inlet valve, float set low, needle valve obstruction, or some other obstruction. Could be a the engine is “hunting.”
    riversr54
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/05/02 09:41:18 (permalink)
    Threw it away and bought a new Husqvarna...I hope it lasts longer than the last couple I've had. I hate discarding these because I know that someone who knows what they are doing could make it run, but paying to get that done cost more than a new one.

Thanks for the help
    BillOhio
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Troybuilt won't run full throttle 2019/05/02 10:36:01 (permalink)
    AVS, Sounds very annoying. At it’s simplest form, there is only three parts to any internal combustion engine. Ignition, fuel, and compression. You’ve already pretty much ruled out ignition since it starts. I think I saw you changed the carburetor so that pretty much leaves compression. You could go buy a compression gauge for around $20.00. Remove the spark plug and check the compression. It’s best to turn the engine backwards to counteract the compression release. An engine needs to have 60 psi compression just to start. To run under heavy load at high speed it should be at least 90 psi. I’m not sure if that should be above 100 psi for heavy load. Check with dealer. If the compression is low, the problem could be piston rings or intake/exhaust valves. Good luck.
    post edited by BillOhio - 2019/05/02 10:48:41
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC