Author
Gaser
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/05/09 19:51:49 (permalink)

GVX120

Hi, this is on a hr214sm. On cranking it, it ran fine for a few minutes and the started hunting or surging. It would idle. Not a big difference in fast or slow setting. Will not cut unless I keep it high to higher throttle. If I set it to choke it will cut like crazy and it has me hanging on for dear life as it speeds along ...this is on low speed.

This mower is new to me. Looks new. Looked underneath and it appears new. Cranks easy. Sat a long time in a shop. I changed oil and washed gas tank out with non ethanol fresh fuel. I think he felt sure his uncle stored it with fuel cut off. Last used in 1987.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Thank you.

6 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 1103
    • Scores: 45
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/09 20:30:21 (permalink)
    If that long without use I think the carburetor needs a good cleaning.
    Gaser
    Starting Member
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/09 20:40:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for your answer. That's a given unless the fuel was cut off. Which I state I think it was. It cranked on second pull and ran fine @ idle for a few minutes , then I the changed idle up and down playing with it for a minute or so and it continued to idle perfectly when left at the last selected setting for another few minutes before it started the surge. Not the behavior of a nasty carb. Again the fuel is fresh now. And the tank was rinsed out well before this started.
    post edited by Gaser - 2019/05/09 20:59:28
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 1103
    • Scores: 45
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/10 07:19:13 (permalink)
    Even carburetors that had the fuel shut off and the engine ran until fuel in the carburetor is used or that is drained still some fuel residue in them that lead to clogging of tiny metering passages.Having set to choke to get it to run is a sign of clogging.

Plus if the carburetor has a sediment bowl it will have some fuel left in it along any sediment. This sediment can get into the fuel bowl. It settles to the bottom of the bowl until the engine is running then larger pieces can partially block jets while running. Once the engine is stop it settles back out to the bottom of fuel bowl. And then things repeat next time.

Just repaired a Briggs that started and ran just what you initially described. Cleaned the carburetor and things are fine.
    Gaser
    Starting Member
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/10 12:10:37 (permalink)
    You shut the fuel off and run it out till it dies.

On this one there is a filter in the tank that goes to the line. Sometimes in the line. You have to remove and blow it out, backwards. Gonna try that today. I did not mention the dirt that I siphoned out when emptying the gas. Gas can must have been contaminated. Now that I know about that filter I bet that is it. Thanks for your answer.
    Gaser
    Starting Member
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/10 13:16:59 (permalink)
    Just an update, The bowl had a drop size rust spot near the drain, rest looked good. So they must have drained the bowl too and that one spot might be where it was not sitting quite level as it drained. I wiped my finger and got no grit on it.

Fuel line is not pliable enough for me to try to remove, I'm sure it'll break so I'll have to do something about that before I can really do anymore.
    Gaser
    Starting Member
    Re: GVX120 2019/05/24 20:21:16 (permalink)
    You were 100% correct. Today, I remembered I had a special tool for carb limiter removal that also removes hoses and I removed the hose and pulled the filter out and it was filthy. Carb cleaned it outside in and then generally, my fingers were black, rinsed tank out and put filter back in hose then put hose back on and she fired right up and purred at all speeds. Again thanks
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC