Author
Lucas M
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/05/26 12:33:00 (permalink)

Loose pulley

Wife broke a mandrel at the end of last season, ordered a new mandrel put it on no problem, mowed a half acre and burned the belt.

Get to looking old pulley could not get centered on new mandrel. So ordered new pulley and belt. Have mowed one acre belt already showing wear, and no matter what I do the pulley still has play.

I have the pulley snug, but the entire assembly raises up and down when picking up on the pulley. I am at a loss.

It causes an awful racket every time I engage the blades...did I get a bad mandrel?

7 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 740
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/26 20:53:15 (permalink)
    What make and model is the machine and where did you order the mandrel? Also, did you order the correct one? Some units have 2 or 3 diffent mandrels depending on position.
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 1103
    • Scores: 45
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 03:49:57 (permalink)
    Definitely need to know what you're working and if you ordered aftermarket spindle or not.

Last year I went through 6 Rotary spindles for a fabricated deck on a Cub Cadet ZTR that had the problem you are referring to. They were designed wrong and the tapered bearings cups were seating to far into the hubs. What worse was the blades didn't even sit at the same height in the deck as the original spindles.

Five of the spindles I got full credit from my vendor. The one I got through Amazon that claim it was OEM wasn't and when returned I got sock with the return shipping plus a 35% restocking fee.

Luckily I was able just obtain the bearing sets locally to get the customer up and running with his old hubs through I had to drill out the broken mounting screws. I have since sourced the tapered bearings thru my bearing supplier in Memphis.

Lucas M
    Starting Member
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 08:39:20 (permalink)
    Sorry Husqvarna z246 bought it from jacks small engines. I went to the model, scrolled until I saw what I needed and ordered that part.

The previous pulley had an oval hole where new pulley had a star pattern, so bought the new pulley, not having the issue of it not being centered now, but can’t get the assembly tight.

I’m not a mechanic in the least and willing to accept I have done something wrong, but it’s almost as if there is something missing(spacer of sorts) from the bottom side. My first attempt at tightening the new pulley left the pulley loose it wobbles everywhere. So grabbed some spacers from Lowe’s to keep pulley right now while assembly raises and lowers.

If there isn’t something missing wondering if the rod inside is too long.

Again I am not discounting user error on my part.
    Lucas M
    Starting Member
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 08:42:44 (permalink)

This was the part purchased.
    post edited by Lucas M - 2019/05/27 08:44:43
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 1103
    • Scores: 45
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 10:39:06 (permalink)
    Ahhh, I think I know the problem. There is about 1/8"-5/32" spacer washer that usually between the pulley and the spindle. The problem is sometimes it isn't thick enough to allow the pulley side nut to clamp the pulley fully. You may need about an extra 5/16" [about two additional thick washers] + pulley thickness. Usually this spacer is stuck to the old pulley but not always. Depending on the setup you may need to add one either between the pulley and the spindle to achieve the correct belt path height or between the nut and the pulley or may even one on each side of the pulley. This should get the play out.

Other than that check to see if the bearings are sliding in and out as lift the pulley. If they do it might be caused the above or a defective spindle.

BTW the Husqvarna PN for these washers is 532187690.

Specs:
    • Outer Diameter (in.): 1-1/8"
    • Inner Diameter (in.): 43/64"
    • Thickness (in.): 5/32"
    Lucas M
    Starting Member
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 16:35:35 (permalink)
    Bearings are sliding in and out....
    Lucas M
    Starting Member
    Re: Loose pulley 2019/05/27 16:48:57 (permalink)
    Ok in conclusion finally flipped it up on the side to see if maybe gravity was keeping me from getting but snug.

The rod going through the mandrel has a stopper hitting the top bearing so no matter how tight I got it, it couldn’t take up the slack from the lower bearing moving up and down, and causing the entire thing to raise.

My original thought was to file down the edge that is stopping the top bearing so I could pull lower end higher but then I would run into something not spinning and damaging more stuff.

As you can tell by my language I am no mechanic. Will contact jacks tomorrow, worse case scenario I have to pay another 25 bucks for a mandrel and another week wait to mow my yard.

Thank you all for your responses, they pointed me in the right direction
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC