Greg1971
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/06/03 08:32:50 (permalink)

John Deer LX280 Stops Running

Hello Everyone!

I need some help! 

I have a JD LX280 with a new battery that was installed 3 weeks ago.  The mower will not turn over or engage the started.  When I jump it with my battery pack it will start right up.  To make matters worse when it starts off the battery pack and I turn the battery pack off the engine stalls out.  As long as I have the battery pack on and assisting the battery the engine runs fine, but as soon as I turn the battery pack off the engine dies. 

I am wondering it could be a defective battery, poor battery cable connection or worse the stator or voltage regulator is bad.

Any feedback and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Greg

2 Replies Related Threads

AVB
    • Total Posts : 1047
    • Scores: 45
    Re: John Deer LX280 Stops Running 2019/06/03 11:42:37 (permalink)
    Hmmm, Several possibles and you need eliminate each as a source.

• First fully recharge the new battery. Then see if it starts the engine and it continues to run.
    • If it does then check to see if the system is charging the battery. Should be 13 - 14.8 vdc when charging.
    • If charging check the electric PTO clutch resistance. It should be 1.7 ohms or higher. If below 1.7 ohms then it is partially shorted and can drain the battery when in operation as the alternator (stator) can only supply so much current. I have seen electric PTO to pull as much as 20 amps and still work but they normally don't draw more 7 amps max. Matter they should be fused at 7.5 - 10 amps to prevent burning up wiring, connector, and switches.
    •  If the system is not charging the battery you need verify if the voltage regulator is outputting the correct voltage or not. 15 vdc max output. Minimum must be above the battery standing voltage in order to charge.
    • If low or none output then you need to check to see if the stator inputting AC voltage into the regulator. A minimum of 26 VAC @ 3000 rpm.
    • If none from the stator or too low replace the stator. Otherwise replace the voltage regulator.
    Greg1971
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    Re: John Deer LX280 Stops Running 2019/06/04 08:25:15 (permalink)
    Thank You for the response!  I got the engine started and running.  There was a loose connection on negative battery post even though it was so tight I could not turn the cable by hand.  But that resolved that issue so I am happy!

Now the PTO will not engage.  I pull up on the PTO knob to engage the mower deck and I get nothing.  Now onto researching and troubleshooting this failure mode.   lol   
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC