The Jack's Small Engines Forum - Join Our Online Community
Reply to post

Tecumseh Snow blower engine won't run unless on fluu choke - after it warms up.

Author
Twin Cities Newbie
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/08/04 22:13:24 (permalink)

Tecumseh Snow blower engine won't run unless on fluu choke - after it warms up.

My father in law gifted me his snow blower last fall. It's getting up there in years (Toro Power Throw 622) and has a Tecumseh engine model HSK60-76008B. It starts on first pull, and actually runs pretty well. 

However, as the last "never-ending" winter came to a close, I noticed that after I ran the snow blower for a while, let's say 30 45 minutes, the engine would start to "surge" (fast, then slow, then fast, then slow) and if I put the choke very close to on full, it would continue to run (at close to full speed).  Last month I got it out and cleaned things up, tightened some of the loose bolts and wanted to let it sit for the rest of the year.  However, after it ran for just 5 minutes, the engine started to slowly surge, and I needed to have the choke on almost full.

I'm pretty handy with engines, but not a pro by any means. I'd like to see if I can fix this before it gets cold.  What suggestions would you have for me?

In advance, thanks for the help!!

2 Replies Related Threads

Trmt701
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Tecumseh Snow blower engine won't run unless on fluu choke - after it warms up. 2019/09/18 11:25:54 (permalink)
    Surging is a carb issue usually. Have u cleaned the carburator?
    Roy
    • Total Posts : 824
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Tecumseh Snow blower engine won't run unless on fluu choke - after it warms up. 2019/09/18 11:47:47 (permalink)
    Dump the old gas and remove the carburetor. Remove the bowl and you will see a centre post with a bulge in the side. The bulge contains the idle circuit passage. Using a thin wire, I have a welding tip cleaner, probe around the threads until you find the opening then run the wire in and out a couple of times. Now remove the idle adjustment screw nd squirt some carb cleaner into the opening, you should see it squirt out the post. Note, do not reinstall the idle screw with the carb upside down.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC