Hot!Sump removal help needed...........

Author
dickymint
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/07/22 05:36:55 (permalink)

Sump removal help needed...........

Hi all, I'm renovating an old Howard rotavator that has an Aspera/Tecumseh HTB35 engine.

After a a fair bit of work I managed to start it and it ran well until the other day. I've removed the engine and have it on the bench. My first problem is that I cannot remove the sump cover! From the videos I have seen on Youtube it should slide right off the shaft albeit with some 'gentle' persuasion?

After it failed I found that both inlet and exhaust valves would not open or close but the piston seems smooth enough.

Sadly I've found and managed to remove a chunk of flat/bent metal as in the photo. So any ideas on how to remove the sump cover would be great.

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

dickymint
    Re: Sump removal help needed........... 2016/08/01 11:38:01 (permalink)
    Well just in case there's anybody out there! with the aid of two axe heads, used as wedges, and a hammer I managed to remove the sump case. It seems that the oil dipper had come adrift then knocked off about ten teeth off the camshaft gear - this is why it would still turn over but as the valves wouldn't lift there was no compression.

Had a lucky brake on ebay and bought an old identical motor (complete wuth carb, manifolds, governer linkage etc.) for £30  as far as I can tell it's in good working order and good compression. The only issue (the seller did warn me) is that some idiot had sawn through the output shaft to remove the belt pulley ..... what an arse!!

Just need to get a gasket set and happy days :)

PS. some photos available if anybody is interested in the resto project. 
    dickymint
    Re: Sump removal help needed........... 2016/08/28 13:22:20 (permalink)
    Ah well peeps that's 2 posts, over 120 views and no replies (except my own lol) 

PS. bye bye it's all sorted and up and running :p
    Mikel1
    • Total Posts : 669
    • Scores: 35
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Sump removal help needed........... 2016/08/30 21:46:44 (permalink)
    Lol, some of those pulleys can be a pain in the rear to get off, especially if it is rusted up over the years.
    Feel free to post up your pictures if you'd like.
    Glad you got it back running👍
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC