Hot!Want to get engine connected

Author
DJC62
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/12/20 23:34:18 (permalink)

Want to get engine connected

I have an engine, BS vanguard 386447-0004-G1 23hp that isn't mounted in a piece of equipment. I want to get this engine running so I can put it to use for something. What I'm trying to figure out is what wires need to be connected to a positive or negative terminal and so on. I have identified the battery cables of course and there is wire coming off the solenoid that I presume would go to a positive connection to crank the engine. There is also a wire coming off the carb, I presume it needs powered as well. Same for one above the oil filter. There are 2 wires, black I think that are alternator wires. Might be another wire but that's all I can remember at the moment. The engine has less than 20 hours I believe and I'd like to get it running. It's been sitting for years so I figure I'll have to do a carb cleaning and so on but my issue is I want to connect all the wiring up so I can try and get it running. Just needing to know what needs positive/ground connection. I think it's a 2012 to 2014 model possibly.

Does anyone have any idea how to connect all the wiring so I can fire this beast up?

Thanks!

post edited by DJC62 - 2019/12/20 23:57:16

4 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 1001
    • Scores: 19
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Want to get engine connected 2019/12/21 12:02:15 (permalink)
    Welcome!! The wire off the carburetor solenoid will go to the accessory side of the ignition switch, it needs to be hot with the switch on. The starter wire goes to the S or start terminal. There will be two wires from the engine, the one from the voltage regulator goes to the battery, it is probably attached to the stud on the starter solenoid. The other black wire goes to the G or ground terminal on the switch, whatever you do DO NOT feed power to it or you will be melting the ignition system.
    DJC62
    Re: Want to get engine connected 2019/12/21 14:06:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Roy. You got me started.

I've gone through it again, and diagrams somewhat similar online, again....

Here's what I have identified and am ok with:
    2 black wires with yellow connector = Alternator/stator 16a  (I've identified this and am ok here, will plug into a rectifier, output side of rectifier will go to pos battery.)
    Blue wire coming off starter solenoid = Starter (I'm good with this one, will go to S on start switch.)
    Red wire coming off relay = Goes to accessory (pos+)

Here is what I'm not sure about:
    1 green wire connected to a sensor/switch on the oil filter bracket = presume this is low oil cutoff but don't know where this should be connected. I think it would ground the coils to shutdown the engine in a low oil situation but I don't know where it would get wired in to ground out the coils. I could probably leave this disconnected, just wouldn't have low oil protection.

I don't have the low oil switch wire connected, was able to get it running by dripping some fuel into the carb.

Just need to know where to connect the low oil pressure wire.

Thanks.

post edited by DJC62 - 2019/12/21 16:17:04
    Roy
    • Total Posts : 1001
    • Scores: 19
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Want to get engine connected 2019/12/21 20:34:30 (permalink)
    I would connect it to the G terminal on the switch, when the low oil switch closes it will kill both coils.
    DJC62
    Re: Want to get engine connected 2019/12/26 23:38:36 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who replied. I've got it running. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it. Wouldn't mind making a decent generator capable of powering my 220v welder. I was also thinking I could use it to do several things, it would just be a matter of coupling to a generator head or pressure washer pump or.... or.... 
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC