Hot!Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running

Author
Jason
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2020/01/07 08:48:34 (permalink)

Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running

I have a B&S Vanguard 9 HP motor on the generator I bought many years ago. Always started until recently. Figured it was the carb. It would start on starter fluid but stop once the starter fluid was no longer in use. Cleaned the carb with an ultrasonic cleaner. The carb looks and acts brand new. Still no luck. fuel is getting to the carb but that's it. Great spark, but no start w/o starter fluid. And again, I can't keep it running. I noticed a pigtail coming off the electromagnet by the carb. But nowhere to plug it into. I wonder if this is the problem. Does anyone know where this pigtail lead get plugged into? I am assuming this is a fuel shutoff to some degree, but since the engine is older it is hard to find info on it and the manual is pointless.

8 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 1001
    • Scores: 19
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/07 12:12:54 (permalink)
    If it ran before with the pigtail unplugged that is not the problem. Did you remove the main jet and emulsion tube (if they are designed to come out)? Can you give us the model and type number from the engine?
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 1569
    • Scores: 57
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/07 12:31:38 (permalink)
    The anti afterfire used on generators are reverse mode type and don't nescessary connected if the generator doesn't provide shutdown circuit.

As for cleaning the carburetor in an UC it doesn't guarantee that it is fully cleaned as it may take multiple cycles to penetrate some the really nasty clogs that can occur in sitting carburetors.

But as Roy said we need the model and type numbers of the engine so we can see what carburetors were used.
    Jason
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/08 08:31:07 (permalink)
    Model number is 185432-0242-E1
    AVB
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/08 09:44:07 (permalink)
    This particular carburetor setup has a removable nozzle, main jet, pilot jet, and idle mixture screw. All of which should be removed during cleaning in the UC.

Secondly per engine's IPL this carburetor did not come a fuel anti after fire solenoid so someone may tried installing an incorrect carburetor that has a normal mode solenoid which would be the cause of the non start condition. According to the IPL the fuel bowl is retained by screw instead of the solenoid.
    Jason
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/09 22:40:58 (permalink)
    I have taken out all of the jets etc and completely torn down and rebuilt every part of the carb. So I know it is clean. As for the electromagnet, it was on the system when purchased brand new. There has never been a replacement of anything on this engine. I am not certain the pigtail was ever plugged into anything in the first place. What I need to know is if the pigtail was plugged into something where would that be? As for the carb, I purchased a brand new carb and the same thing happens...only fires on the starter fluid and will not run once the starter fluid is removed. It is getting gas to the carb but clearly not in the cylinder. Plenty of spark. Could that electromagnet be the issue?

AVB
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/10 07:36:33 (permalink)
    Yes the solenoid can be the problem if it is a normal mode type. By normal mode I mean one that shut off fuel flow extends its tip to the main jet or nozzle when no power is applied to it which common mower mounted engines. Generators normally uses reverse mode type that when as the generator shuts down power is applied during shutdown to extend the tip to stop fuel flow to the main jet or nozzle. Then once generator is fully shutdown this power is no longer available so it returns to its retracted position until the next shutdown cycle.

You can temporary replace most of these solenoids with an appropriate sized screw (bolt) for test purposes.

As far as to where the generator's oem had it plugged into (if it was ever connected) is not possible to even try to tell you without the generator's make and model number. This like trying to tell you where in a 79 Chevy Malibu to connect up a 700R4 transmission electrical connection. Without the knowledge of the Chevy wiring it is just a guessing game. Btw that I have done with the necessary wiring mods. Kinda nice having a 4 speed automatic with overdrive in one though I should had gone the 200R4 instead of the 700R4.
    Jason
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/10 12:06:46 (permalink)
    I posted the model number of this engine already, but here it is again 185432-0242-E1

AVB
    Re: Vanghard 9HP Wont stay running 2020/01/10 13:16:01 (permalink)
    Appears you didn't understand. for wiring this engine to generator we need the generator make and model info. The engine is a separate item.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC