Hot!Briggs and Stratton 5hp Horizontal Longevity and Fuel Question

Author
ElectricBlake
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/10 14:16:15 (permalink)

Briggs and Stratton 5hp Horizontal Longevity and Fuel Question

I have a 5hp Briggs that sees about 4-8 hours of use per day under very low load as it replaced a 2hp electric motor and is basically idling on standby until the flow valve opens. I change the oil every month but about how long do these engines last? I got it used about 3 years ago and it has a date code of 2001. Now onto my fuel Question. I have to refuel the engine 1-2 times a day depending on how much it was run. My operating cost is about 1-2 dollars a day in fuel but in the winter months it is a pain to stand outside and pour gas. Are these engines convertible to Natural gas? If so I think that would be easier to maintain for me. Even though sometimes we forget it is running because we cannot hear it.(golf cart muffler welded on) If there is such a kit to run on nat gas I would appreciate a pointer in the right direction. Thank you all for your time! :) 

1 Reply Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 171
    • Scores: 2
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp Horizontal Longevity and Fuel Question 2016/12/10 19:46:24 (permalink)
    What is the model and type? If it is an old L-head I don't know of any fuel conversion kits.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC