Author
Xj Digger
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/04 01:56:20 (permalink)

Rebuild a Intek 8hp

Hi this is my 2nd post, maybe I'll get excited and try to hit 1000 posts someday.

I screwed up my 8hp Intek by starting it without oil and it quit and won't run no more. That was a good motor and would start anytime down to about 10 degrees without putting a heater on it for about a half hour and that engine would split 12 inch beach even through a limb just like shaving it. The engine just quit while I was servicing it and wasn't paying attention, you know late nights after midnight. There wasn't any trashing noise other than no oil.

Is it worth repairing this or how would I determine what went wrong for the parts required. I really liked the way that motor ran. Its a shame to put it in a dog pile.

4 Replies Related Threads

Roy
    • Total Posts : 870
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 1
    Re: Rebuild a Intek 8hp 2019/10/04 11:47:16 (permalink)
    You won't know until you tear it down. You might get away with cleaning up the crankshaft and installing a new rod.
    Xj Digger
    Starting Member
    Re: Rebuild a Intek 8hp 2019/10/04 13:56:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Roy,
    My thing is that I've rebuilt automotive motors and work on my tractors and grew up in a Chevrolet shop, but never have been into small motors. What you say is correct but I was hoping on getting some pre-knowledge of what to expect. 

What usually goes wrong in 5 minutes of running without oil? Is it a fools errand? Is it worth the trouble and what I should expect to look for as damage and the usual parts, especially the motor casing? This was a very good engine before I screwed up.

The motor ran, than started sounding funny, and then started to fail and I shut it off, then realized I did not install the oil.
    AVB
    • Total Posts : 1281
    • Scores: 45
    Re: Rebuild a Intek 8hp 2019/10/04 14:07:38 (permalink)
    The first to go usually is the rod to main crankshaft. The aluminum start to melt from excessive fiction which transfer aluminum to the crank journal. From there it just gets worst as more aluminum is transfers until the rod softens so much it falls apart and seizes to the crankshaft at which time it snaps. This if you are lucky that pieces didn't do other damages. As Roy said without a tear down you will not know how bad it is.

I just tore down a Kohler CV23 that failed at full throttle. Not only  the above happen the rods took a chunk out of one of the cylinders, broke the camshaft in two, and destroyed the oil pump. Basically it became scrap metal all because someone didn't check the oil.
    Xj Digger
    Starting Member
    Re: Rebuild a Intek 8hp 2019/10/04 14:36:38 (permalink)
    I don't usually have a lot of extra time, so probably this winter I will break it down for inspection and if its just throwing a new crank, connecting rod and piston on I might try that.If the case and cylinder is in good shape.  Thanks

Right now I'm buying a new engine for the splitter. When I blew this intek I went to get another Intek and Leigh did not sell Briggs and had these cheap Honda look-a-likes which I needed something then but I was not impressed. Now after 2 gas tanks and the shuttoff switch fell apart and the thing sounds like its going to fall apart right from when it was new, I'm putting a new engine on it.
    Jump to:
    Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC