The Jack's Small Engines Forum - Join Our Online Community
Reply to post

Helpful ReplyHot!Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping

Author
Snowman
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2020/01/14 20:10:36 (permalink)

Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping

My oldy but goody snowblower is ailing. The drive sheave for the auger/rake slips along its' shaft, toward the auger. The 2 set screws are not holding it in place. When it slips, it comes off the woodruff key, which promptly disappears, and the sheave no longer spins, hence the snowblower no longer blows snow. Is this due to a misalignment with the drive shaft pulley off the engine? Or was there some sort of stop on the sheave that prevented it from sliding along the shaft as it now does. There's  not one now and I cannot find a close enough image of the sheave to ascertain if there's supposed to be one, like a lip that catches the end of of the auger shaft or something that's worn away with time and service. Hard to see whats not there. I've spot welded a washer onto the tractor side of the sheave to provide  a stop lip as described. The sheave with the stop against the end of the shaft, aligns well with the wear marks on the idling brake shoe next to it.  I've yet to re-assmble the thing and started thinking I should maybe ask around before employing the solution of a thousand headaches to this venerable old workhorse. Thoughts? Don't dally too long, I'm drifted in.
kshansen
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/01/15 07:46:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Willh5080 2020/03/26 06:28:23
Not following the problem but it's early and only half way through first cup of coffee!

But have you tried going to the Ariens site and downloading the manuals for this machine? 

Go to:
https://www.ariens.com/en-us/manuals/download

And enter the 924028 in the "Model box" and 006182 in the "Serial number" box and it should take you to a page with the Operators, Parts Manual, and the "Service Manual". 

That said if the set screws are not holding the sheave in place on the shaft it sounds like either the sheave and/or the shaft are worn to the point the set screws are overwhelmed and loosen up letting the sheave move. In that case the only option might be to replaces worn parts.

If parts "ARE" worn to the point they will not work and you are desperate welding may be an option with the understanding that the parts will have to be replaced.

Wish I could be of more help! Especially when I sit here with two perfectly good even older Ariens blowers and not a snow flake in site and three good parts machines out in the barn that only need good motors!  
Snowman
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/01/15 09:38:33 (permalink)
Wow, thanks Kshansen. Coffeed up or no, your on the ball. The link is helpful. I have downloaded the literature and will see what I can see. The parts are not showing significant undo wear, no excessive wobble, and the shaft is hardened steel of course. I did try new set screws (a fart in the wind). As I've studied the issue, it seems to me that the drive pulley from the engine may be mis-aligned to the auger sheave slightly towards the auger. This may be enough for the belt to pull the sheave along the shaft and off the key as described. I'll inspect that portion of the assembly, make sure the engine pulley isn't loose, and see what I see. Again, I appreciate the quick response. If you really need some snow, I've got some to spare.
kshansen
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/01/15 10:35:25 (permalink)
Snowman If you really need some snow, I've got some to spare.

Well just checked the forecast and there is a chance of 4 or 5 inches in the next few days so guess you can save on the shipping costs to get your's here!
Snowman
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/01/17 09:52:26 (permalink)
In appreciation for the support received on this forum I thought I should post some information that may be of use to others who experience the issue being discussed. As it turned out when I slowed down a bit and examined the problem, looking at the bigger picture, I saw that the nylon flange bushings on the idler arm were worn nearly to the point of non existence, causing the arm to tilt severely toward the snow thrower (auger) assembly, which caused the belt to drag the sheave along the shaft and off its woodruff key. I replaced the bushings with brass bushings as they were all I could find locally. (they're very proud of them at the hardware store). They righted the arm so it now aligns with the drive pulley and the auger sheave.
I should note that in the process the sheave, apparently in retribution for delayed maintenance, sheared the pin that carries the idler brake arm. On my machine, this is welded to the auger housing so I have removed the brake for now until I can address this consequential damage. Not a safe situation but I had to get the driveway dug out, Mama said so. 

Attached Image(s)

kshansen
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/01/17 11:50:13 (permalink)
I'm assuming this "brake" is to stop the augar from turning when disengaged? 

Guess my old Ariens were designed and built when engineers made the assumption that one would have enough sense to not reach in there with the auger and impeller spinning! That does not seem to be the case too often these days! 

Been using the old style for going on 55 years and still have all my fingers so I must be above normal brain wise!
Willh5080
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Ariens Model # 924028 Serial # 006182 Auger Drive Sheave Slipping 2020/03/26 06:28:40 (permalink)
Hi and thank you all!
Jump to:
Copyright © 1994 - 2016 Jacks Small Engine & Generator Service, LLC